Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Sniffy4 t1_j1g60be wrote

small price for leaking data which tilted an election to a complete moron

BoricPenguin t1_j1jd77w wrote

Let's be honest that data didn't matter, and that moron was going to win anyways given the other choice was somehow worst.

Stand_Desperate t1_j1puqou wrote

Actually one of UK report said the same. No one cares - it is easy to just say bad this and bad that.

Sniffy4 t1_j1jnkyh wrote

>given the other choice was somehow worst.not a given.

I dont know where you're pulling that idea from, and the 'other choice' got 3 million more votes than the moron.

−1

OraxisOnaris1 t1_j1k91id wrote

Not where it counted. There are a lot of issues with the electoral college but it's our system for better or worse. Gotta play the game and you can't focus on urban populations to the detriment of more rural areas.

Sniffy4 t1_j1led26 wrote

> Gotta play the game

a 'game' which makes some voters important and others not is not a fair game.

>you can't focus on urban populations to the detriment of more rural areas.It's obvious bulls*t which is why no other country copied it in the 250 years since it was created.The preamble of the Declaration says 'all men are created equal' not 'rural populations must have extra political power per capita because the real equality is between chunks of land, not people'

OraxisOnaris1 t1_j1t260k wrote

Never said it was right or fair, just that it's what's going on

AIDK101 t1_j1h0dhp wrote

Lol who are you going to blame when he runs for president again and wins a second time ?

−11

Marchello_E t1_j1g14ei wrote

( $725 million to settle a lawsuit ) divided by (access to the personal information of about 87 million users of the platform) equals ($8.33 per user)

Well, that's settled then.

ddotevs t1_j1gg3zj wrote

You're doing the math wrong, you only need to divide it by the number of lawyers.

azurleaf t1_j1gnob9 wrote

I received $23.57 for my Equifax class action settlement. Sounds about right.

Lorilei t1_j1gf1m5 wrote

“User data case” sounds so innocuous- call it what it is- corrupting democracy

InsertBluescreenHere t1_j1gr12l wrote

and the time it took you to read the article theyve already earned that money back.

when are we actually going to have real fines? not this shit from like 1922 where 725 million would bankrupt a company.

autotldr t1_j27lezx wrote

This is the best tl;dr I could make, original reduced by 66%. (I'm a bot)

> SAN FRANCISCO - Facebook's corporate parent has agreed to pay $725 million to settle a lawsuit alleging the world's largest social media platform allowed millions of its users' personal information to be fed to Cambridge Analytica, a firm that supported Donald Trump's victorious presidential campaign in 2016.

> The case sprang from 2018 revelations that Cambridge Analytica, a firm with ties to Trump political strategist Steve Bannon, had paid a Facebook app developer for access to the personal information of about 87 million users of the platform.

> The lawsuit, which had been seeking to be certified as a class action representing Facebook users, had asserted the privacy breach proved Facebook is a "Data broker and surveillance firm," as well as a social network.

Extended Summary | FAQ | Feedback | Top keywords: Facebook^#1 privacy^#2 million^#3 users^#4 social^#5