Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

PDNYFL t1_j2z92vq wrote

I have a 55inch LG OLED and influenced my parents to get a 55 and 65 inch OLED.

This seems like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. The TV still needs power so this doesn't make it wireless. It just introduces another thing to not work properly. Cables just work!

insaneinthecrane t1_j312dgk wrote

Let alone potential latency issues!

a_talking_face t1_j3299z1 wrote

Outside of gaming I don't think latency will be a problem. Even then it still could be fine I guess. Gaming headsets don't have noticeable latency issues so it seems that at least the audio aspect should be fine.

toaster99 t1_j31suur wrote

I feel Samsung has the best solution with the single wire that connects to an external box with all the inputs and stuff. Unfortunately that's paired with Samsung's terrible UI that forces ads onto you.

marqoose t1_j327sbs wrote

Feels like every single smart TV i've ever used has an unbearable UI and a Gameboy Advance processor.

evolving_I t1_j32v1uu wrote

I'm really happy with GoogleOS so far on our new Hisense 65"

PDNYFL t1_j31yz3q wrote

I assume the wire is proprietary as well? So if you run it through a wall or some type of cord concealer and replace it with a different model you have to take the cable back out?

Scraw16 t1_j32xqsa wrote

I still don’t really understand why only Samsung has that. I have a TV mounted where I can’t run cords thru the wall and would love to have a single input cord to simplify cord management (even if power was still separate).

toaster99 t1_j33g5g2 wrote

With the Samsung solution, the single cord includes power which is awesome. It's honestly a really good idea.

cntry2001 t1_j321vdb wrote

These things are terrible imo I’ve seen multiple of the input hubs on them die and then need replaced

Beautiful-Ad-2390 t1_j30ytdp wrote

No you’re wrong on this. I’ve been searching for wireless hdmi cables but the quality is not there yet. The main thing is cable management, as well as device management. I use a laptop to connect to my tv. I watch whatever I want with no ads and if I didn’t have to have a 30’ cable running to the tv it would be great. Plus the actual real world applications.

dRi89kAil t1_j31hjql wrote

>wireless hdmi cables

So you mean Bluetooth or Bluetooth type technology?

KarlMalownz t1_j31o2c4 wrote

The person you're replying to is probably referring to video-specific wireless protocols. There were a couple called WHDI and WiDi in the last ten years that were supposed to be substitutes for HDMI. They never seemed to catch on.

dRi89kAil t1_j31t1g3 wrote

Hmm. The more you know.

iRAPErapists t1_j33qlp2 wrote

Plus... I believe Bluetooth bandwidth is.. 2mbps? While hdmi 2.1 bandwidth is 48gbps

I-Love-Cigarettes t1_j319qa3 wrote

Most smart tvs allow you to connect your laptop to it tho. Even windows media player supports it, if you’re a pirate 🏴‍☠️

truthfulie t1_j32g409 wrote

So this is basically a solution to a problem that is very specific to this TV's formfactor, a problem that the formfactor created in the first place. And maybe a little bit of region-specific architectures.

The TV is on a easel-like stand on four legs. You can't have a traditional media console setup with this TV. You'd like want/need a separate furniture (likely something that is smaller and unassuming in keeping with the aesthetics of the TV) to store any additional devices you might need. If this TV was wired, you would need to run HDMI cable(s) and hide them. Might be easy enough for Americans who have drywall. Easy to cut open the wall, run cables and hide it from plain sight. Might not be the case with other regions that do not use drywall (S. Korea for example).

But by having wireless signals, you are free from cable management which also gives you a bit more freedom in terms of placement of your devices and the box since it gives you up to 30ft.

Obviously, a very very niche problem and a very very niche solution but yeah. I can see why they did this even if it makes little sense for most people. Signature series isn't for most people to begin with.

Folderpirate t1_j2zwu8a wrote

We are actually incredibly close to wireless electricity.

−61

Telemere125 t1_j30duot wrote

We’re not close, it’s been around since 1891 with the first Tesla coil. The problem is feasibility because you have to put massive amounts of power out of the coil that mostly gets wasted, since it’s not directed, and the fact that it produces high-frequency AC power, so it’s not useable in high tech electronics.

THIS_GUY_LIFTS t1_j308ntt wrote

I mean, it exists. And has existed since at least Nikola Tesla’s experiments.

hautdoge t1_j30u1ne wrote

Nope. Fucked by physics. Inverse square law.