Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

MarkedZuckerPunch t1_j39j7zb wrote

I know how lossless compression works. Netflix doesn't use lossless compression because the file size would still be way too large. blurays can't be further compressed losslessly because they already use lossy compression. Trying to compress them losslessly would best case do nothing, worst case it larger. So I don't even know why you mentioned lossless compression, unless you were either actually suggesting that or thought that netflix uses lossless compression.

Also I don't know why you're acting like netflix streams are in any way representative of the speed this connect box would need to reliably and with near zero latency transmit (can't buffer video games), while 4k 120hz 4:4:4 Chroma wasn't possible with HDMI 2.0 (sound like a bottleneck to you?). This means that for that you need more than the 14gbps, quite a bit more actually. 20gbps or more. That's double the wifi 6 max speed. There's also TVs now with 240hz, which even HDMI 2.1 can't do at 4k and once we get to 8k TVs those 42gbps probably won't be enough anyway. That' more than 4 times wifi 6 max speed. Remember: reliable and near zero latency.

Why did those

>That's why USB is used everywhere instead of firewire, that's why bluetooth is so common nowadays, how we had RCA cables then HDMI cable instead of vendor locked cables, just like wireless charging support a common protocol instead of reinventing the wheel.

Why did those even have to be replaced? Because some companies were doing it before everyone else and tried to profit off of it. Why did they get replaced? Because the technology got important enough to warrant the building of consortiums and standards. Will this eventually be the same? Probably. Are we there yet? No. Why? Because it's still experimental. Did other TV manufacturers announce a similar feature? No. So they probably didn't work together on a new standard. Also you act like no company would do anything proprietary these days, which is just false.

Note: I'm not saying they'll create vendor lock-in. I'm saying they won't do it as you described at all. At least not any time soon.

Note 2: we had open HDR10 at first, but the proprietary Dolby Vision Codec won against HDR10+ and Samsung doesn't want to pay royalties for it.