Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Rodville t1_j6fal00 wrote

And with all the space taken by disabled but uninstallable apps mean only one or two decent size apps can fit.

EtherMan t1_j6fghr0 wrote

Apps you can only disable, are stored on a completely different segment of the rom. The space was never available for your play apps in the first place. The only thing preinstalled apps are competing for space with, are other preinstalled apps.

Rodville t1_j6fh37i wrote

Maybe so. But if the phone is billed as 16G and they use most of that up even if it's an area that your apps weren't meant to go on so you can only install one or two of your own is still a deception im my opinion and a really shitty thing to do.

Edit: iOS may use some of the 16G for the operating system and bloatware aps as well but not 12G of it like Android does, it was at most 2-5G.

​

Edit 2: "But you can add an SD card on Android." maybe so but it won't hold apps on it only pic and music. And even if you format it as system memory some apps will still not go to it or launch from it.

−3

EtherMan t1_j6fj0iw wrote

No. That's not how it works. Again, the preinstalled apps only ever compete with other preinstalled. You cannot use that space for regular play store installed apps. Ever. The area isn't writable and has a size that is fixed based on the chipset that is being used.

Also, as someone that has actually used a 16gb 6s recently... You're just dead wrong on how much apple use up by the system. Out of those 16, less than 1g was actually available for use, with every single optional app removed. System itself takes up about 8 and "Other" takes up the rest.

Also, if you're running a 12g android on a 16g phone... Stop using chinese copies that are breaking licenses. 12G means it's full android, which isn't allowed on 16G phones and hasn't been for a long time. These days, 64G minimum for full android. Below that and it should be Android Go which is a stripped down version specifically for low end phones. It only uses about 5G for the system partition (where bundled apps go) as a maximum, though most roms will be even less.

allredidit t1_j6fnlvr wrote

> The area isn't writable and has a size that is fixed based on the chipset that is being used.

Do you have a source for this?

> Stop using chinese copies that are breaking licenses. 12G means it's full android, which isn't allowed on 16G phones and hasn't been for a long time.

And do you have a source for this?

I'm asking because neither match what I think I know about Android.

EtherMan t1_j6fr5wl wrote

>Do you have a source for this?

https://source.android.com/docs/core/architecture/partitions/system-as-root

>And do you have a source for this?

https://www.android.com/versions/go-edition/

While you could do aosp, since that's apache license, you can't use google play services for it unless you conform to their stricter licenses, such as for low end devices with 2gb of ram and/or 16gb storage, you're only licensed for android go, not full android.

allredidit t1_j6gg9yj wrote

Thank you for the links.

I don't see anything in the first link to support what you said about a chipset dependent, fixed size and non-writeable partition. I think the partition is still on flash and at least in theory, you can repartition the whole flash to set the sizes of your partitions as you wish.

Re. the second point, I see what you mean now. It revolves around licensing for Google Play, not the open source version of Android. Though I understand that it wouldn't make sense to try to sell an Android device without Google Play.

EtherMan t1_j6gzrfz wrote

I thought you wanted for how the system partition worked. That sizes are chipset dependent, is just experience. I'd suggest reading a lot on xda but I can't point to anything specific.

About selling without google play. Well, huawei is doing so, so you can, they have their own store. It's just not all that popular.

allredidit t1_j6i9ek3 wrote

Thanks for the info. Come to think of it, the Amazon Fire tablets are also Android devices sold without Google Play.