Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Crack_uv_N0on t1_j5zs8v4 wrote

This an assistant at best, not a lawyer. There is no indication that Browder has himself any knowledge about what it takes to actually practice law. Browder should have found out beforehand what it would be properly be called.

quantumfucker t1_j62m3dp wrote

I don’t understand why they didn’t try to market this as an assistant to help you represent yourself rather than a substitute for a human lawyer. While we should encourage people to go with human lawyers, it’s still someone’s right to represent themselves, and this should’ve just been launched that way.

But that being said, I find it concerning that he was being threatened with jail time for trying this out. We should consider that a lot of lawyers are objecting not just because robots would be worse, but because it also threatens their personal livelihoods.

Crack_uv_N0on t1_j6442sr wrote

For that we’d have to know what law this comes under and what the penalties are. If what I’ve read is accurate, first time offender rarely spend time in jail. Of course, these the convicted have lawyers who know how present the case before the judge in a way that will resonate with the judge, something way beyond the capability of AI robot.

If I were a defendant in a criminal case & and were eligible for a public defender, I would rather take a chance on a public defender, who would likely be overworked.