Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

iwatchppldie t1_j5wcls4 wrote

I seriously wouldn’t have even heard of it if it wasn’t for the ban but instead I watched it.

[deleted] t1_j5yljg0 wrote

[deleted]

SlothLair t1_j5zlcwc wrote

Thanks for all this it’s very helpful!

If they are going to this extent to try and silence it I definitely need to watch it!

johnnySix t1_j5xnnf9 wrote

How was it?

iwatchppldie t1_j5ykqkz wrote

Honestly it was interesting from a cultural standpoint but beyond that it was mostly your standard bbc documentary.

WintryInsight t1_j5yya6s wrote

As an indian, could you tell what it is in the documentary that people are so mad about? Virtually no friend of mine had been talking about it

iwatchppldie t1_j5z1geh wrote

It basically ties modi to a mass riots in 2002 and the bjp party. The strange part is it wasn’t that hard on modi and seemed to from my point of view downplay his involvement in it. Half of it was interviews with people who where involved that was the interesting part tbh. As far as the politics it really pined it more on bad blood over the conflict over between Muslims and Hindus more then modi him self.

This is my take on it with little knowledge of Indian politics.

WintryInsight t1_j5z2dfp wrote

This doesn't really make sense to me. If it was just the usual hindi Muslim stuff, then why would the modi government want this banned. It doesn't him directly. And, is modi even the one who approves or initiates the bans? Stuff like this surfaces a few times a year on international forums and has every outraged, but I can never really get the reason for it.

I think I'll go and try see the documentary myself.

CouchWizard t1_j5z71xb wrote

Maybe someone is finally harnessing the Streisand Effect...