Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

YachtingChristopher t1_j6gw0on wrote

Yes, anything to keep raising companies costs and consumers prices.

Or consumers could try being smart and stop buying from companies with horrible practices and, through the market, demand companies do better.

Nope, sorry, nevermind. Forgot who I was talking about. Government babysitting for everyone!

−11

ICameToUpdoot t1_j6h8ngl wrote

Market pressure from consumers require that an overwhelming majority of consumers investigate what they are buying to an unreasonable level.

And companies with a lot of money will just pay to spread information or misinformation, making it even more difficult to make decisions as an informed consumer, even if you want to. Not just talking about commercials or PR statements, this goes all the way to paying research institutions sponsor money for specific projects.

Companies that don't fulfill a certain market certification can just create their own certification and market it to consumers. Showing off a shiny sticker that they are fulfilling what the market wants, while the company hasn't changed it's practices. Not to mention the constant problem with "oh no, our subcontractor didn't do their due diligence so our sub sub sub contractor that used child slave labor has now been cut off".

parlapier t1_j6hhrk2 wrote

Government is at least elected.

Company oligarchies are inherited or conquered through financial power and exploitation.

YachtingChristopher t1_j6i60cw wrote

Company's leaders and products are even more effectively elected through the money we spend.

−1

parlapier t1_j6i77h9 wrote

Thats not an election, people with more money have more votes, the people with less money who have to work to generate the wealth of the rich have no votes.

YachtingChristopher t1_j6i9s7a wrote

So...the rich buy a million Spotify subscriptions just to keep a terrible founder in power?

The rich have a paid option for Google searches?

The rich own 20 Teslas?