Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

JustWantPokemonZ t1_j8z9mn7 wrote

I liked Wednesday but no way is it in the same league as Andor and the Last of Us.

ReservoirDog316 t1_j8znx1k wrote

I think it can reasonably snag a best actress nomination since the entire show only works because she commits to her role so hard.

toadfan64 t1_j90e343 wrote

Yeah, as a fan of the OG series, I think she played the characters great. Probably my favorite version of Wednesday tbh. Now other characters? I'll need more time with them, but they don't touch the original quite yet, or the 90s films.

MisterB78 t1_j8ygzwc wrote

Not interested in Wednesday so I haven't watched it, but Last of Us and Andor are both top-notch and well deserving of awards.

PorkshireTerrier t1_j8zj1q9 wrote

Wednesday is similar to The Little Rascals / The Sandlot / Matilda

If you want Chernobyl or The Wire, this ain't it, but for anyone reading this who is on the fence; if youre looking for a fun show, this is it!

Signal_Blackberry326 t1_j92mc3g wrote

Yeah it’s not even close to being in the same league as those shows/movies (rascals/Matilda/sandlot) it’s pretty much CW trash with a good central performance

Saar13 t1_j8ykks1 wrote

So early for that.

RBlomax38 t1_j8ylboi wrote

One of these things is not like the other

annaamontanaa t1_j8z21f0 wrote

They’re predicting Lily-Rose Depp to be nominated…..that tells you everything you need to know

retroracer33 t1_j92h9e9 wrote

I feel like that show is going to be bad. It seems like it should be out by now. It's been "coming soon" forever. I dunno if they had issues in filming or post or what.

Frazzledsoul t1_j8yjk7s wrote

I don't think any actors from The Rings of Power have a chance in hell of being nominated.

jez124 t1_j8ysbsc wrote

dont think any of them deserve it yea. Not exactly award worthy imo anyways. Note: I actually liked the show.Had good fun with it

antmars t1_j8z4p55 wrote

The eligibility period isn’t even over. Entire shows will come and go before the eligibility period will end lol.

bobtheflob t1_j92mqq4 wrote

Yeah they have several shows that haven't aired yet on there.

ucd_pete t1_j8z16ow wrote

Have to wait till Succession airs before making bold predictions.

MicroFlamer t1_j8yhjjp wrote

It’s a damn shame Disney have no clue how to market their properties for awards season(as evidenced by how they fumbled the Oscar race for West Side Story and The French dispatch, instead trying to get Oscar voters to like Eternals and Black Widow) because it would be fun for Andor to be a legitimate contender and I would argue is the most deserving of the shows that have been released so far.

Slartibartfast102 t1_j8z50zv wrote

The French dispatch had no chance of ever being nominated for anything. Delusional.

Prax150 t1_j8yjd0z wrote

I'm not sure if I'd agree that either of those movies should have won any Oscars yet alone Best Picture, but Nomadland was Searchlight and won the previous year.

ucd_pete t1_j8z118l wrote

West Side Story is honestly one of Spielberg's best movies. I'd probably have it in his top 10. The problem is that nobody saw it in theatres because of covid.

MicroFlamer t1_j8yjvoe wrote

> I’m not sure if I’d agree that either of those movies should have won any Oscars yet alone Best Picture

I mean, CODA won best picture that year. Wasn’t a particularly strong year

> but Nomadland was Searchlight and won the previous year.

Huh you’re right. I guess Andor does have a shot if the Emmy voters can look past their Succession bias.

Prax150 t1_j8yslkb wrote

I liked CODA but you're right, not the strongest year. I imagine it won by getting a lot of 2nd places. If I were voting I'd have ranked them:

1. Power of the Dog

2. Drive My Car

3. CODA

4. Licorice Pizza

5. West Side Story

6. Duen

7. Don't Look Up

8. King Richard

9. Nightmare Alley

10. Belfast

Although there are some other movies I liked more. Red Rocket, The Lost Daughter, The Worst Person in the World, After Yang would rank higher than most of those.

irocktoo t1_j8yvi8e wrote

Andor could sweep the Guest actor/actress category. Insane they didn't push for that.

22Seres t1_j8yyy2v wrote

In terms of the Guest Actor category, I think Nick Offerman and Murray Bartlett's performances in Episode 3 of The Last of Us would put them as frontrunners for it.

Spinwheeling t1_j91vmhy wrote

Maybe so, but I would argue Andy Serkis deserves a nomination (assuming he isn't in too many episodes to be counted as a guest actor).

I'd also give F. Murray Abraham a nomination for his episode in Cabinet of Curiosities.

Hawkbats_rule t1_j92vz9a wrote

>assuming he isn't in too many episodes to be counted as a guest actor

Might actually be a good thing for serkis, since he then wouldn't be competing with the last of us crew, instead going up for supporting actor, which currently feels like a weak category outside succession.

Slartibartfast102 t1_j8z4yqb wrote

I still can’t get over how good Andor was. After feelings of disgust after Rise of Skywalker and personally not enjoying Mandalorian, I was full on done w Star Wars. Had no intention of watching any of it. But the Reddit was enthusiasm was hard to avoid and I felt I had to at least try. Such a good show. Not just a good Star Wars show. Just a flat out good to show. No force. No Jedi. No sith. No lightsabers. Best star wars content since rogue one. Miraculous.

Delicious-Tachyons t1_j8z6o81 wrote

lol who nominated ROP? That was hot garbage

quaranTV t1_j9029nv wrote

These aren’t actual nominations. Just predictions from Variety.

KakiLangit2579 t1_j90fxjc wrote

it didnt even got nominated in Gloden Globe or critics choice, LOL. the writer in big delusional. Out of touch media.

more_later t1_j90ijjn wrote

I'm happy I'm not an Emmy voter. I would collapse if I had to choose among Andor, The Last of Us, and Succession.

ruzgardiken t1_j90dl72 wrote

I think people are overestimating Andor. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a good watchable show but nothing more than that. It’s a good story, but nothing extraordinarily special about it

Maybe the overly positive reactions are because of the sludge Disney has been releasing these last years?

adevilsadvokate t1_j91jzeg wrote

I would be inclined to agree just because the state of the Star Wars franchise makes that theory seem plausible and likely, but I don't know. On a purely production level, it's everything its "prestige" contemporaries are and more, and I can't think of many TV shows that even attempt to work in the spaces Andor does, and does it at that level. (AMC's Little Drummer Girl from 2018 is the most recent comparison for me.)

There's a combination of elements here that is new grist for the cultural mill, and I think it's easy to overlook because of the IP. I think we can all have preferences for some stuff Andor maybe didn't attempt (more personal drama, perhaps) but it's an exceptional work in both the science fiction and thriller spaces it is in. I think the IP association hurts here more than it helps, because it deserves a spot with some of TV's greats, even if it doesn't have universal appeal/acclaim.

The Criterion Collection doesn't just include a certain type of arthouse drama, right? Andor may not have Better Call Saul character drama or The Last of Us emotion, and all you might see is a "good story", but it's an immaculately well-constructed work with more going on than that credits it, especially for those who do have an affinity for works like a Le Carre adaptation. Tinker Tailor can be the most boring movie to some, but it's been permissible to exist as a Not For Me w/ an acknowledgement of its precision and detail. Andor deserves that too, from a pretentious board that can see those merits. It's good like that, not just for the franchise. So much better than it had any right to be, that it loops around to being inaccessible in some ways

cheapnfrozensushi t1_j91qcry wrote

yeah there's a larger conversation about the relationship between mass appeal and "quality" that Andor doesn't fit neatly into because of its parent franchise's identity as blockbuster

Andor is definitely more esoteric in form, a genre and style that has its audience and is associated with a level of sophistication - but when it's about real history or politics. Andor is in a space fantasy backdrop, so that muddles how it should be engaged with. I think you can perceive the dissonance in a few ways: as bold pastiche, or half baked emulation. I think Andor more than meets its ambitions in the former but it just has the entirely wrong audience to appreciate it, and it becomes easier to perceive the latter in that context.

BlueberrieHaze t1_j916l68 wrote

Agreed! I really enjoyed it, but that’s because every other Star Wars show has been shit. I was happy to finally see other parts of the Star Wars universe.

But I would not put it on the same level as Last of Us.

−3

abdullahi666 t1_j918ykj wrote

I’m hoping Paddy Considine gets nominated for best actor or best supporting actor.

OCGamerboy t1_j8ysqob wrote

The Rings of Power getting an Emmy? No chance.

quaranTV t1_j902n9u wrote

Surprised they don’t think Shrinking will be nominated for Best Comedy? And that Abbott Elementary will basically sweep all its categories when competing against Ted Lasso, Barry, and the final season of Maisel?

I also think its strange that The White Lotus will be in drama and not comedy. Its tone is very much like Barry which competes in comedy.

browncharliebrown t1_j91ho0h wrote

the fact that reservation dogs wasn't predicted a single time is baffling

bluetux t1_j95a4np wrote

claire danes was honestly the best performance I saw last year

sevsnapey t1_j8ykd5a wrote

for viewers of the show does wednesday have a shot at any wins? i haven't seen it but beyond it being insanely popular/watched i haven't heard that it was a contender for best drama comedy? apparently

Mentoman72 t1_j8z0n40 wrote

I could maybe see Ortega taking lead actor in a comedy but I think it's still a long shot.

ZealousidealBus9271 t1_j8z1sn3 wrote

Ortega basically has one face for the entire show. I get that’s her character but I don’t see why she should even be nominated other than for how popular the show was.

annaamontanaa t1_j8z24wf wrote

Definitely not. I do think it would be nice to see Jenna Ortega nominated though, she nailed it. But the show as whole? No way, very CW

KakiLangit2579 t1_j90h3ub wrote

HBO killing it lately. if its hold true, they will get 4 nominee in drama category, the best in their all time???

-HotD already nominated in Golden and critics choice. and Emmy love GoT (even its last season).

-Succession already constantly nominated and winning it last year, so unless it shit the bed this year. they will get nominated again.

-white lotus, emmy love it last year, but will they do it as drama?

-and TLOU. probably. Better than some nominee (ROP, LOL. Andor, the Crown s5)

man, what happened to netflix? i remember when it was dethrone HBO for most nominated, broke HBO streak dominating. they still had limited and documentary tho.

amazon continue to be the worst. Apple Tv crush them. ROP, hehehehehe, are you kidding, its that your best? i like miss maisel for comedy.

PermanentSadness t1_j92txpl wrote

It's so weird to bet on shows or seasons that didn't even come out yet.

TheBat45 t1_j96cbg9 wrote

Makes me sad that Paddy Considine is probably gonna miss. He didn't even get in at the critics choice awards. He was excellent and the most deserving actor in that cast

idunnobutchieinstead t1_j93gk8a wrote

Some of those best drama picks over Better Call Saul… Have we lost our minds?