Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

HotpieTargaryen t1_j8gugem wrote

It has the same wholesome goofy vibe as the original and it’s a real easy sitcom procedural. I get why it’s popular.

Turqoise-Planet t1_j8gwe9m wrote

Wholesome? I remember the original show being pretty raunchy for its time. Probably a lot more so than the new one.

photoguy423 t1_j8hur9v wrote

The original started out very wholesome. Dan didn’t really start going full perv until a few seasons in. He actually started out pretty stuffy and dull.

goatlll t1_j8iadz9 wrote

The original is incredibly wholesome. With typical 80s style raunchiness thrown in.

I recently watched it again for the first time in decades, and every other episode is one of the cast having an issue and the others coming through to stand by for them. From helping Roz deal with her diabetes, to pitching in to help with Christine's baby, to standing up for Harry, to just looking out for the random defendant of the week.

Early in the show there is an episode where Dan gets engaged to a frumpy looking rich woman. Everyone assumes it is because of the money, but he gives a speech about love that is very touching. Of course, status quo wins out in the end and she leaves him. But instead of instantly defaulting to type, Dan turns down a one night stand and starts to walk away. He slows down, lowers his head and says in a low voice "...Harry"

And Harry puts his hand over his shoulders and they walk away together. Its a very touching moment.

Overall there is more of that in the show than people remember. Yes, its zany and silly and full of juvenile sex jokes but at its core there is a great story of friendship and compassion, and the cast does a great job at selling it.

BenovanStanchiano t1_j8idx3p wrote

It wouldn’t be reddit if someone wasn’t misusing the word wholesome.

HotpieTargaryen t1_j8isal8 wrote

Wholesome and raunchy can exist simultaneously in a sitcom. Night Court had some raunchy jokes but it was ultimately about everyone being a family and justice being fair and about people which is incredibly wholesome.

InfraCanuck t1_j8gws52 wrote

And now with one is ✨Melissa✨ Raunchy.

−1