Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

gringo-tico t1_j9qcf3c wrote

I kinda want to see another take on Pennywise. I like Bill as an actor, but I don't find his Pennywise scary.

CurseofLono88 t1_j9qlcaq wrote

Andy Muschietti is producing and directing multiple episodes, there is absolutely no way in hell he is gonna switch actors, especially since Bill’s performance was so well received.

Still I was always quite intrigued when Will Poulter was originally cast, I would be super interested in what his take on the character would be

Sad_Country_5991 t1_j9qv0j3 wrote

I was super interested in the Fukunaga/Poulter movie we never got.

Jefferystar94 t1_j9roz1z wrote

Having read one of the drafts, it definitely was a lot more interesting than what we got imo, but at the same time it was very "elevated horror" and absolutely would've been hated by the general audience.

CurseofLono88 t1_j9qx1k6 wrote

I read a few drafts his script and was always sad that he didn’t get to make the movie, even though I enjoyed the Muschietti films

Guest2200 t1_j9qkqne wrote

I think it would have been better if they relied on his acting more than cheap cgi jump scares. They really missed the mark on part 2. You could see the jump scares coming a mile away, and that's kind of all they tried.

Regula96 t1_j9qx9s5 wrote

I did enjoy part 1 but still, I would have preferred a less “flashy” adaptation. Overall too many jumpscared, like you said. Part 2 wasn't even close to as good as 1 was.

Guest2200 t1_j9qxud0 wrote

Part 1 was far better. Did a better job of leaning into the unsettling aspect of Pennywise which is how Tim Curry did such an awesome job.

Evening_Presence_927 t1_j9v572a wrote

Part 2 was probably never going to do as well, because it covered the less popular part of the book.

ladedadedum25 t1_j9rxfjg wrote

So much of horror is judged based on its scare factor and that's just not how I view things. Skarsgard was endlessly entertaining and could absolutely enhance this show.

Tulos t1_j9sk775 wrote

Bill was excellent, but I agree his portrayal wasn't particularly scary - through no fault of his own. They chose to make their Pennywise very silly and cartoonish, which didn't feel quite right to me tonally.

I still liked the new films overall, but that aspect didn't really do it for me.

zombiesnare t1_j9ukt3d wrote

I was pretty rattled by the movie but if I’m honest it was the editing more than the creatures. That face tracking they do on Pennywise when he’s getting real murdery haunts my dreams

Randa11F1agg t1_j9qhi5d wrote

>I think this is a fair take, not sure why your being downvoted. I liked alot of the scenes with him but there were these other scenes like in Patrick Hockstetters death (who was way underrepresented in both movies) where Pennywise kind of...turbo waddles up to him before the scene ends. Id have to rewatch to remember the other scenes where they chose to have Pennywise turbo-waddle but there are a few of them and I thought it was kinda lame each time.
>
>
>
>I felt like Tim Curry's rendition was much more chilling and am with you in that I'd want someone else to give the role a go.

−1