Submitted by dtudeski t3_127491q in television

Whilst watching a random episode of Schitt’s Creek I was reminded of what a fantastic job Eugene Levy does in the role of Johnny. Surrounded by an array of wacky, eccentric characters, his straight man performance is so earnest and funny, even more so on rewatches.

They’re often the more overlooked characters and performances but when done right, there’s few things better than a straight man. And to avoid any confusion, “straight man” doesn’t refer to sexuality or gender but is a character trait/type that is designed to be serious or deadpan in contrast to other more eccentric characters. Michael from Arrested Development and Liz from 30 Rock are some more personal favourites that spring to mind.

Who are some other favourite straight men?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Cyclone_1 t1_jeclcle wrote

Patrick also serves that function too in Schitt's Creek.

cryptic_mythic t1_jeclfi2 wrote

Bob Newhart might be the quintessential straight man

Latter_Feeling2656 t1_jecobvc wrote

Newhart has a lot of style in common with Jack Benny, and "Newhart" was somewhat inspired by the Benny film George Washington Slept Here. What Newhart and Benny both demonstrated was that a good straight man has to be capable of going off himself at intervals.

jayz93j t1_jeddgha wrote

Early Joel Mchale in Community nails this but ultimately he breaks down a bit

AnotherJasonOnReddit t1_jedkrmn wrote

😞 Season 3 Episode 1 and the table's axe were the beginnings of the end of Straight Man Jeff 😔

jayz93j t1_jeg5tf1 wrote

Yeah but it was hilarious, I love his evolution

HOGCC t1_jed1gvc wrote

Jim from The Office

BalsamicBasil t1_jed76p5 wrote

Guillermo in What We Do In The Shadows.

Michael Bluth in Arrested Development

I love that both of these characters think of themselves as the straight man (and they are) but in their own ways they are nearly as awful (or enabling awful) or unreasonable as the people around them. Guillermo knows the vampires he lives with are murderous, out of touch and eccentric but he still defends and excuses their behavior because he also desperately wants to be included and join their ranks. Michael understand his family is out of touch and their awfulness gives him a huge ego because he thinks he is so much more reasonable and a much more moral person but he is pretty shitty himself.

sushimonsters t1_jeepa8l wrote

Just watched the always sunny podcast episode with Michael Naughton(the waiter). They talked him playing the straight man in sunny and that was the first time I had heard that term. It got me thinking of others with the first one coming to mind being Tommy Tiernan who plays Gerry in Derry Girls

Latter_Feeling2656 t1_jecp005 wrote

Some of the workplace shows of the 70s featured a relatively stable character as the center of a wacky ensemble. Notable among them were Hal Linden (Barney Miller), Judd Hirsch (Taxi), Mary Tyler Moore, and Gary Sandy (WKRP in Cincinnati).

SteveBorden t1_jedkezr wrote

Jason Bateman in well, everything but especially Arrested Development. Adam Scott in Parks and Rec

Locutus747 t1_jedaulb wrote

Oliver Douglas in Green Acres

ltmkji t1_jedayri wrote

ted levine/captain stottlemeyer in monk. it's hard to pick a favorite moment but the jackhammer scene when they're in new york fucking kills me every time.

Faelix t1_jeglbtz wrote

Ensign Wesley Crusher?