Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

boringdude00 t1_je94bfo wrote

>Clarkson continued: “I do hope, however, that my old mates who run the show can find a way of saving it. Because in these days of soft and cuddly eco-madness, we need programmes like it more than ever.”

Manages to do it in the most-assholeish way possible, which is what you'd expect.

duckwantbread t1_je95ttb wrote

Especially when it's for The Sun, he basically just writes as if he was a rambling idiot down the pub when he does those. If you look at his articles for The Sunday Times you'd think it was a completely different author.

Monkeyspazum t1_je9a6k1 wrote

Well you have to write for your audience and so he seems to get it right for the Sun readers then...

kazh t1_jeauxty wrote

BBC America basically forced people to watch his bland ass show. We need to avoid possible marathon filler on that channel more than ever.

−2

That-Soup3492 t1_je94000 wrote

Didn't Richard Hammond also get into a horrific accident while filming?

CineRanter-YTchannel t1_je94aog wrote

Haven't watched the show since the original trio left...tried giving it a go but it felt quite stale and forced, and Evans was a very irritating host

wjoe t1_je9ckp1 wrote

Chris Evans was definitely an awful host. It was better when they got rid of him, Matt Leblanc was alright. The current trio of McGuinness, Flintoff, and Harris are probably the best it's been since the originals left, although can't really disagree about it being a bit stale. It's still the same old formula, some of the segments they do are fun, the car review bits in between are the same old, and as always the episodes where they go on one big adventure are the best ones.

I'm sure if it was still Clarkson, Hammond, and May we'd still be saying the same thing about it (and indeed, The Grand Tour had it's own share of issues, and has been better when they've stuck to the occasional big adventure episodes). Charismatic presenters with good chemistry between them can go a long way, but there's only so much they can do with the same format after 20 years.

BigDanglyOnes t1_je9gxns wrote

I’m into cars and car stuff so it still scratches that itch for me. I find the current humour a bit puerile though.

Pulling down each others trousers and wedging etc.

ascagnel____ t1_je9vgfw wrote

Honestly, as someone who was once really into Top Gear… the show had started to run its course in the original trio’s later seasons. The show needs another, proper reboot, not just a new set of hosts.

OzTheMalefic t1_je91a2b wrote

Let it die.

Resurrect it with a new team and new format/idea a couple of years down the track. JC, Hamster and Captain Slow was a reboot/refresh of a dead show.

Substantial-Dust4417 t1_jea3j0e wrote

Yeah the BBC has a mandate that includes some sort of motoring show. It doesn't need to use the Top Gear brand and I think most people have moved on from that format. Have a proper motoring tv series with historical pieces, consumer reviews of cars and bikes, and motor sports coverage. If people want dated comedy they can watch TGT.

−1

DoDogSledsWorkOnSand t1_jebmhh5 wrote

Wait does it actually need a motoring show? Honestly they should just grab Fully Charged in that case. Give them the airtime.

Created_By_InGen t1_je90a1z wrote

Time to get the band back together, again

The_Iceman2288 t1_je92kyb wrote

Yes, he should travel back in time and un-punch that producer.

buff_bobby t1_je93jfu wrote

He probably wouldn't do it since it ended up with him having a shipping container filled with Amazon's dollars.

[deleted] t1_je99u4o wrote

[deleted]

duckwantbread t1_je9bdye wrote

There was more than one producer for Top Gear, the head producer did follow Clarkson to TGT, but that isn't who Clarkson punched. The guy Clarkson punched was Oisin Tymon, he doesn't have any credits to do with TGT and given that he sued Clarkson over it it seems unlikely they're on speaking terms.

tetoffens t1_je9azvs wrote

Who is that? Because it isn't the guy he punched, Oisin Tymon, who has never worked on The Grand Tour.

Cortecs t1_je916qy wrote

Top Gear since Clarkson, Hammond and May were involved is rubbish. Haven't watched it for years

−15

Kroooooooo t1_je94wc6 wrote

...how would you know then?

[deleted] t1_je95zm1 wrote

Clarkson & team left quite a long time ago. They might've easily tried few seasons and then leave it for years at this point. And I absolutely agree with them. If they made a new show with cars it would've worked better, but they tried to continue being Top Gear and it just felt forced and awkward as hell.

NotGodsThrowaway t1_je94ml2 wrote

The current trio is actually really good. TG just had to go through a bunch of middling to bad presenters to get the current three