Submitted by Nicobade t3_11qpdq9 in television

2022 was an absolutely amazing year of television, specifically that 2nd half that featured The Boys Season 3, Stranger Things Season 4, Better Call Saul Season 6, House of the Dragon, The White Lotus Season 2, Andor and more.

2023 has already given us The Last of Us plus before the 1st half of the year is over we will have Succession Season 4, Yellowjackets Season 2 and The Mandalorian Season 3. Every single show I just mentioned is eligible for the 75th Emmy Awards and is competing within the Outstanding Drama categories. That's not even to mention The Crown Season 5 which wasn't super well received but is usually very successful at the Emmys.

This has got to be one of the most stacked Emmy lineups ever and alot of it is spearheaded by HBO which has 4 of the shows I just mentioned, arguably 4 of the best shows out of an already impressive batch. Several networks have had stand out years in the past and gotten 2 or 3 shows within the same category nominated. But no network even with the expanded number of nominees in recent years, has gotten 4 shows competing for Outstanding Drama Series since the Golden Age of TV started in the 2000s.

Having this many nominees obviously shows they are an amazing network at the top of the field but also there is the downside that their can only be 1 winner. In the Supporting Actress and Supporting Actor categories, Jennifer Coolidge and F. Murray Abraham from White Lotus are considered favourites by some outlets and their biggest competition would be Sarah Snook and Matthew Macfayden from Succession. In the Lead Actor category, Brian Cox and Jeremy Strong from Succession already always compete with each other but now they are also against Pedro Pascal from TLOU and maybe Paddy Considine from HOTD. From HBO's perspective I worry that this is overkill and they are missing out on several wins because they are competing with themselves.

This could all actually be remedied with 1 change: Delay Succession Season 4 until the 2nd half of 2023. Succession out of all the shows mentioned is the biggest critical darling and would be the favourite regardless of what comes out in 2023/2024, especially because it's the final season. By doing this, HBO would give The White Lotus, The Last of Us and House of the Dragon more of the spotlight and a chance to rack up big wins at this year's Emmys while Succession could still probably sweep the 2024 Emmys.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

StranglesMcWhiskey t1_jc4e3dd wrote

Counterpoint, winning an Emmy doesn't really mean much to most people.

Nicobade OP t1_jc4ejtr wrote

It definitely means something to TV Networks like HBO which pride themselves on being the king of prestige TV.

StranglesMcWhiskey t1_jc4g0jc wrote

They aren't going to shed a tear if the reason they lose our an Emmy is because they won an Emmy.

Nicobade OP t1_jc50jeh wrote

They definitely won't lose any sleep over it but still, two awards is better than one. It's the reason why Stranger Things and Better Call Saul split their last seasons in half even though the 2nd half came out a couple months later. They wanted to be eligible for the Emmys in multiple different years.

−4

reddit455 t1_jc4fhr7 wrote

only one show can win.

​

any network with a lot of nominations is doing something right.

meowskywalker t1_jc4jgnq wrote

This plan only makes sense if we assume they’re not going to do well at the 2024 without Succession. And I have a sneaking suspicion that HBO will do fine.

The plan also ignores the fact that they release shows in a way as to encourage subscriptions. How many subscribers are they going to lose for how many months because Succession isn’t when it should be on the release schedule? All so that they can win an emmy who’s only real purpose is to encourage people to subscribe to the show?

Nicobade OP t1_jc4qtd8 wrote

I don't think 2024 will be nearly as good. TLOU Season 2 won't be ready by then, The White Lotus with its anthology format runs the risk of not being consistently good year to year, Euphoria will probably be back but that show's reception is waning, HBO's new project The Idol is apparently a shitshow from all the rumours. HBO's 2024 nominees could just be HOTD Season 2 only.

I don't disagree though about subscriber numbers coming first. My only caveat would be that there are usually lulls in a cable network's release schedule where there isn't alot of new content for a couple months. If there isn't a whole lot ready for the 2nd half of 2023 then it's not the worst idea to move things around.

−1

NocturnalEternal t1_jc4los0 wrote

I think at this point the networks/streamers use the total number of nominations for bragging rights, not which show of theirs has the most nominations/wins.

Snuggle__Monster t1_jc4j4i1 wrote

Who cares. It's about our entertainment, not their awards.

DancingOnACounter t1_jc4m1b2 wrote

HBO is the Yankees of stream services... they're not going to NOT produce and air quality shows. They have the prestige, the budget, the production value to create amazing show after show.

sweetpeapickle t1_jc854hl wrote

And the 3 main broadcast networks dealt with that back in the day. There was less competition, but more from themselves.

pm_me_reason_to_livx t1_jc4wcao wrote

> Delay Succession Season 4 until the 2nd half of 2023.

lol you can't be serious. you want them to delay a highly anticipated show... because of the fuckin' emmys?? why the hell do you care about the emmys so much... or at all even?

jettydwallace t1_jcc36jh wrote

It's just a stacked year in general. On the comedy side, we have the final seasons of comedy heavy hitters, Ted Lasso, Barry, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and Atlanta. Plus, newcomers The Bear, Wednesday, and Poker Face, and the Disney owned returnees Only Murders in the Building, Abbott Elementary and What We Do In the Shadows.

On the drama side you have the final season of Succession, Better Call Saul, Yellowstone, with newcomers Andor, The Last of Us, House of the Dragon, and The White Lotus first time in drama.

It does seem right now like the table is pretty open for The Crown to run the table next year for its final season. But with so many huge shows ending, it's kind of an exciting turning of the tides for popular TV.

HBO will be fine, they still have new seasons of House of the Dragon, The White Lotus, Hacks, Euphoria, The Penguin, The Rehearsal , Winning Time, Curb, The Righteous Gemstones, Last Week Tonight, Harley Quinn, The White House Plumbers (as well as several other limited series) just in the next year alone, not to mention at least two other Thrones spinoffs, a Parasite adaptation, a Hellraiser series from Danny McBride and Jody Hill, a tv adaptation of multiple seasons of Serial, a miniseries based off of Kubrick's unmade Napoleon script, a horror series from Alfonso Cuaron, a vampire series based off of a popular book series from JJ Abrams and Issa Rae, a new Alec Berg show post Barry, an ISIS miniseries from Bradley Cooper and Todd Phillips, The Gotham PD show, the Green Lantern Corps show, the Themyscira show all in development for the next few years. HBO is doing just fine.

Palmerstroll t1_jc4p05c wrote

All these awards for tv/movies should be banned. It's so weird. It's not a sport or competition.

anasui1 t1_jc57dgu wrote

take them as publicity, because that's what these prizes are

bloodydingbat t1_jc7u8zq wrote

Streaming service fanboism is one thing I find super cringe and silly

Saar13 t1_jc4fao6 wrote

Too early to say. Never has so much been spent to be awarded and we still don't know how much WBD intends to spend on prizes in this "new phase". Maybe they only invest in one or two shows.

−1

Nicobade OP t1_jc4gm9e wrote

Yeah I wouldnt be surprised if that happens but it would be a damn shame to only campaign for 1 or 2 when they have so many strong contenders