Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

FondleGanoosh438 t1_jd9tk2f wrote

I gave the first episode a try and didn’t love it didn’t hate it. Does it get much better?

ThrowawayTheLegend t1_jd9vio4 wrote

Yeah the first episode is kind of rough not knowing the characters.

I just rewatched season 1 and in all honestly feel it really gets good around episode 5-6 onward.

TheBoyWonder13 t1_jdbfhfd wrote

Yeah, as others have said it really becomes the show it ends up being around episodes 5/6. The writing team is comprised of a lot of British sitcom writers so it’s kind of the same thing of how most sitcoms take a bit to find their groove.

They reshaped and expanded a lot of characters based on what the actors were bringing to them. For example, Roman is way more sadistic and cruel in the pilot than he is later in the show. He’s still a complicated person but seasons 2/3 Roman would never rip up a million dollar check in front of a Latino boy and his working class parents.

bloodydingbat t1_jd9y2tp wrote

Why are people downvoting you, fuck me this place has become so vile and angry. Dude is just asking a question.

oldar4 t1_jdac9r8 wrote

Prob because the most rabid zealots in the world are fanbases for meaningless entertainment that fills their meaningless lives with meaningless meaning.

Rumbleinthejungle8 t1_jdaq6j5 wrote

It's hard to ever truly "love" a first episode of a show when you first watch it. You don't have an attachment for the characters. I had the same "didn't love it/didn't hate it" reaction to the first episode of Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones, they didn't hook me until later on.

Personally I usually watch the first 3 or 4 episodes, if it hasn't hooked me after the fourth episode then it's not for me. Or if I actively dislike it because you can tell the writing is bad (see Rings of Power, I quit half way through the third episode because I was so bored and tons of things jut didn't make sense).

the6thReplicant t1_jdc9k96 wrote

I will sometimes start watching from season two if I’m worried about exposition and character dumps.

I might miss some things but I can reverse engineer enough to see if the writing, acting, and feel is good enough that you can’t get in the first episodes of the first season.

−2