Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

wise_prophet t1_je1lbxv wrote

Darn good numbers for The Night Agent.

RIP Shadow and Bone. Very poor 2nd week numbers.

DevilsHandyman t1_je1mewr wrote

I'm enjoying The Night Agent but didn't get into Shadow and Bone despite having read the book.

cefriano t1_je2ovqi wrote

I was initially very interested in Shadow and Bone, I thought it was a really interesting world that they were building. And then I quickly lost interest when the focus turned to a lame love triangle that I didn't give a single shit about.

durx1 t1_je3tauu wrote

Shadow and Bone is best if you only pay attention when The Crows are on. It’s dreadfully boring otherwise

Realistic-Client9825 t1_je44cbb wrote

Give me Nina teasing/flirting with the sexually repressed Mattias, and I can die a happy man.

WaluigiIsTheRealHero t1_je4y5ww wrote

The books are the same way - the Six of Crows duology is infinitely better than the original Grisha trilogy.

durx1 t1_je52438 wrote

all the praise for The Six of Crows has me interested in reading them. Was a big YA fan back in the day. But I was out of school by the time the Grishaverse started

WaluigiIsTheRealHero t1_je53ptt wrote

It’s definitely worth a read. It goes relatively quick and you don’t need to have read any other part of the Grishaverse prior.

Rk1llz t1_je6sjgp wrote

Can confirm that's it's boring af. Even as background noise

Cyyyyk t1_je2uqzo wrote

The Night Agent is a lot of fun so I am glad it is doing well..... but people are missing the boat on Shadow and Bone. It is a really well done fantasy show. One of my favorites.

RWTwin t1_je1tgr6 wrote

The Night Agent feels more intriguing. I'd probably give Shadow and Bone a chance if the synopsis wasn't so vague. I'm usually hesitant to watch lore rich fantasy shows as they're usually bad slow burners if they're not executed well since they require a significant amount of world building

monarda_fistulosa t1_je1vdlc wrote

Netflix is shooting itself in the foot with that synopsis. Why would they think putting the letters CW anywhere near one of their own originals is beyond me! CW-quality is basically a meme at this point.

Edit to give you a synopsis: Orphan mapmaker Alina Starkov may have a prophesied power to save a divided world. Meanwhile, Kaz Brekker and his crew of thieves are just trying to live in it.

ffxivthrowaway03 t1_je4v90c wrote

I'm pretty sure all of the tagging and synopsis writing is done by a single intern who doesn't actually watch any of it.

I'd love to see an analysis of how frequently the word "irreverent" is used/tagged, and how often it's misused.

kawfikawfi t1_je3gvhp wrote

The problem with shadow and bone is not that it's a slow burn but more that it burns through plot incredibly quickly. It's a pretty stereotypical YA fantasy story if you're into that.

ffxivthrowaway03 t1_je4viln wrote

It burns through it all quickly and none of it is particularly interesting.

Atmentod t1_je4e597 wrote

(S&B) I enjoyed the first season but the second season just seemed so. Implausible? All of it. I want to support it, but it's hard to get into.

Kekka t1_je4jm2z wrote

yea i felt the same the first season pulled me in and i was pretty hooked then by the end of the 2nd season felt like i was forcing myself to the end.

Arsenio3 t1_je2cewk wrote

S&B season 2 had obvious story and pacing problems. The last couple episodes had characters running around with literally nothing to do. They could have figured out a way to get all the characters in the same place at the same time. There’s one whole plot/romance that not only doesn’t get resolved but it doesn’t even get set up for (a now less likely) second season. Not enough romantic tension and muddy motivations. I have a feeling they were too worried about sticking to the book but failed to tell a good story for tv. IMHO at least

qp0n t1_je4y6wz wrote

> RIP Shadow and Bone. Very poor 2nd week numbers.

Season 2 was awful and all potential is gone. Such a waste.

Rumor is that to this day the only 2 remaining single characters are still running around aimlessly hoping to find each other to ensure that every person in their 20s - aka everyone on their planet - is in a romantic relationship. Only then can the darkness ratings be defeated.

bloodydingbat t1_je6z863 wrote

Shadow and Bone has some wank actors other than the crows.

I seriously don’t get how people rate Jessie Li, she can’t act for shit. Numbers don’t lie.

Ma5cmpb t1_je2o2kw wrote

Not necessarily, if the completion rate is high then it’ll be renewed.