Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Faithless195 t1_itn39vs wrote

> It was basically Bezos' private project.

I honestly never believed this. If it genuinely was, he would've continued it. Especially since the books fucking NAILED the ending. But I refuse to believe that Bezos was a massive fan of the series, otherwise he would've let it continue, especially after the series covered some of the slowest books (I love them all, but Babylon's Ashes was...not as faster paced as the rest of the series).

tqbh t1_itn8zek wrote

I remember that he personally announced it during a public event. Why else would he announce a niche project from one of his subsidiaries?

Why did he not renew it already? Well, maybe he saw that a new season is out. Told himself he will watch it as soon as possible, but never got to it. Then when asked if Amazon should renew it, Bezos says he has to watch the last two seasons first... Now everyone's waiting.

DanielCofour t1_itnrq4t wrote

At the time, PrimeVideo was just getting started for real. This is a common tactic of getting new users, fund a beloved franchise with an established fan base which will evangelize the hell out of the show to get more people to join. That's why Bezos announced it, because it made the Expanse fambase go full on Jehovah's Witnesses for the show

tqbh t1_itnyaqr wrote

The show (and fan base) was too small even for Syfy. And how often has fans rallying fans really worked? This is not the prestige project, you want to start your streaming service with. I also remember Bezos being quite giddy while announcing it, because he just got the news right before or even during the event. For me too unusual and too human behavior for a CEO if you are not a genuine fan.

Hexcraft-nyc t1_itooxsr wrote

Exactly this. It would surprise me if Bezos was actually a fan of the IP at all. It was always PR (and it worked great for them). Turning the final trilogy into films is a risk, and Amazon Prime does not make risky content.

Radulno t1_itov7w6 wrote

Yeah that's marketing BS for sure. Hell people seem to forget that Amazon wasn't even the one creating or owning that show. It was Alcon Entertainment with Syfy

MrZeral t1_itr01fe wrote

Yeah not only did they cancel the show, the last season got fuck all 6 episodes to tell the story. You could clearly see they were lacking airtime for the story.