Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

McKoijion t1_iu6jx53 wrote

I completely disagree. Netflix has quantity. HBO Max has quality and quantity. Zaslav is finally righting the ship. The stuff he got rid of sucked, and he's been willing to spend lavishly on quality.

−16

GarlVinland4Astrea t1_iu6wfzn wrote

Honestly when Netflix was cancelling shows people were bitching nonstop about how horrible it was and how the service was sucking and going to fall apart. It just outperformed what was supposed to be a doomsday quarterly report and smoked everyones expectations and now it's stock is shooting up. Just maybe even though people online complained about what was cancelled, Netflix knows what drives numbers.

Zaslav is a business guy who is coming in to fix a bloated company that was in debt and throwing every thing at the wall that they possibly could. Now people are complaining that he's killing everything by cancelling projects that look like they probably aren't profitable.

People do need to realize that at some point the party was always going to end for every streaming service and the motion was going to shift from "pour content out to attract consumers" to "become efficient and maintain profitability".

McKoijion t1_iu7e9m1 wrote

It’s not just a money thing. Batman and Superman are getting thrashed by Marvel’s D-list characters. Game of Thrones Season 8 was so bad, it risked ruining a franchise that’s in the same top tier category as Star Wars, Harry Potter, and Lord of the Rings. Speaking of, the Fantastic Beasts series is similarly a massive screw up. To be fair, JK Rowling deserves most of the blame not just Warner Bros. And when was the last time you saw anything related to Bugs Bunny, once the most famous cartoon character (Mario is/was similarly bigger than Mickey Mouse at one point). It’s crazy how the greatest franchises in American history have been fumbled. Not some of the greatest, the greatest.

Radulno t1_iu8z7m8 wrote

Discovery certainly has quantity over quality too. And Netflix has also plenty of quality.

To be honest, those two are way too in debt for that to be possible but a merger between the two would actually make a great service. Netflix has the viewers and international reach and it can absorb both sides of Discovery (they got plenty of their own reality TV stuff) and Warner (prestigious projects in TV/movies, big franchises like DC or Harry Potter). Hell they even are both interested in gaming (Netflix is publishing games and Warner too and they have studios).

A merged service between the two would basically be unstoppable.

Every_Repair973 t1_iu7c915 wrote

He will shut down hbo max and start from scratch witha new service. So yeah he's REALLY doing a good job.

−2

McKoijion t1_iu7fexh wrote

I had HBO Go before this, and have HBO Max now. It doesn’t really matter what it’s called. It’s just servers streaming movies and shows. That being said, I’m assuming it’s going to be called HBO Max. As long as the quality stays high or dare say, improves, I’ll be happy. And HBO, DC, Warner Bros, etc. have been dropping the ball hard. I’m still furious about Game of Thrones Season 8.

Every_Repair973 t1_iu7g6sr wrote

He will merge it with a food and cheap reality tv service. And they will change the name. Hbo max is now sooo popular. So they will literally start from scrarch after 3 years of hard work and building the hbo max Brand. Now everyone knows hbo max.

−1