Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Tampammm t1_isvkpps wrote

I would suspect there will be a very small percentage that might do that to save money.

But definitely see most of the ad-supported tier viewers as being brand new customers. And a new market base for Netflix to tap into.

pchelpbot2023 t1_isw5180 wrote

Yeah, I think a LOT in various internet circles are missing the bigger picture on the ad-supported tier and ultimate target demographic for this and where Netflix has actually been struggling, and it is not with "typical" reddit demographic.

While I am a bit surprised at some of the launch countries, I think those are more for "testing" and ramping up to their goal for emerging markets in an attempt to further subsidized the cost of entry for Netflix where "Free" content on Youtube/TikTok, that while not the same, gives a much harder run for their time and mind-space than paid streaming services like Netflix.

Otomato- t1_isw5x4v wrote

Yep I unsubscribed to Netflix when the price went above $15 since I don't watch too much TV (maybe 3-5 hours per week). But I will be re-subscribing to the lower tier once it rolls out, since it makes a lot more sense based on my viewing habits and it gives me something to have on in the background when I'm doing chores.

I may even sign up for the $10 plan now that it is 720p (480p seemed pointless to me), but I will test the ad version first.

Tampammm t1_isw69ip wrote

Sounds good!

I like that we have more options and choices now.