Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

PloppyTheSpaceship t1_is74tvp wrote

This seems to be based around it, though I don't believe this character was in it.

Brian and Kevin's books are passable, so long as you don't compare them to Frank's. The original Dune, for instance, was self-contained and a good little adventure with lots of other stuff, but it seldom flitted from the main adventures of Paul - and when it did so, it did so with purpose.

By comparison, Brian and Kevin's are all "trilogies" and try to tell a multitude of branching storylines, taking place in a myriad of differing locations. It can be quite disjointed - in one chapter you can be in a space battle, and in the next a princess wonders what to wear to the ball. The tease is that storylines will come together but that rarely happens, and is rarely satisfactory.

Although their latest trilogy, the Caladan trilogy, does reduce this significantly. It does, however, have a fair few bits of bad "wtf" writing, as in one instance Hawat hypnotised Paul in the middle of the street to believe the Baron is about to kill everyone, for shits and giggles obvs.

Frank Herbert's books are left untouched by Brian and Kevin's, if only because it is impossible to confuse the two. Brian and Kevin just don't have the plots and are a very different style of writing. You can read the six core Dune books perfectly well without reading Brian and Kevin's - they add nothing - and whenever anyone nee to the Dune series suggests reading in "chronological" order - so 12 Brian and Kevin books before getting to Dune - we will advise them to rethink and go publication order.

So if you can accept them for being "stories in the same universe as Dune", rather than any sort of continuation, then you can get some enjoyment out of them. There is some bad writing in them - and I've reviewed the three most recent - but if you can plot through it, and the endless recounting of motivation (that really annoys me, and I begin to wonder if it was done just got padding, as each chapter the characters seem to want to recount the story so far a lot of the time), then they're entertaining brain fodder.