Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

pourthebubbly t1_is4kgy0 wrote

This may be too niche, but the German show Dark lost me when one of the characters was revealed to be her own mother. One of these days I’ll power through and finish it, but I’ll have to get in the mood.

tomsawyer222 t1_is4kt9f wrote

Ah yes Dark, loved season 1, season 2 was good but hard to follow and season 3 we watched one or two episodes and gave up. Season 1 though, wow..

pourthebubbly t1_is4lcbt wrote

Season 1 was absolutely amazing! The writers just fell into that “how can we make it bigger” trap that often kills a story.

FrankBooth09 t1_isc9vp3 wrote

I almost quit s3, it was becoming such the slog. Omg, greatest comeback of a show. You HAVE to push through to the end…., it will make so much more sense and in hindsight makes it much more bearable. Giving it a couple years then I get a fantastic rewatch.

Closest I can think of for non spoiler example would be the endings Fight Club or the Sixth Sense before their perspective reveals. Dark being a TV show is narratively drawn out compared to those movies, but has a similar payoff.

Educational-Tower t1_is4pf2q wrote

Dark had a very good first season but became repetitive thereafter. Tons of wannabe profound dialogue about “the end and the beginning”. I realised midway through that I could predict what the characters would say before they said it. Slogged through to the end. Yawn.

brisingrbrom t1_is6a2d8 wrote

I think she was her own grandmother, assuming we're talking about >!Charlotte!<

pourthebubbly t1_is6ldof wrote

Oh I think you’re right. It’s been a while since I abandoned it, so my details are fuzzy

Sulley87 t1_is4w248 wrote

Yeah that's a weird show with a lot of love that i don't understand. there is no unique character there is no real story. its just a web of interconnected people mixed up in time. motive is unclear, resolution unclear. morals? themes? drama? none. just mundane ramblings of beginnings and end.

−2