Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

InspectorMendel t1_iy0m3n8 wrote

I think sophomore slump is a thing because people (particularly music acts) have many years to develop their first release, but much less time to create a followup which will be held to the same standard.

A compressed timeline can be harmful, and I guess that can happen if some money guy gets worried about catching the hype before it fades, but I think that’s pretty rare. Seems like White Lotus had a normal amount of time between seasons in any case.

oldgeek123 t1_iy0pccj wrote

Sometimes too much time is harmful too. West World and GRR Martin’s writing between his books are good examples of that. Sometimes if you have too much time you over think it and get in your own way.

williamthebloody1880 t1_iy3l1l3 wrote

With The White Lotus, it's the other way round. HBO, worried about running out of new content due to pandemic shutdowns, asked Mike White, who is known to write quickly, for a show that could go into production quickly and be filmed in a Covid safe manner. Season 2, as you noted, had a normal production cycle

GaryTheCabalGuy t1_iy0xr59 wrote

The good thing about White Lotus is that the actual story is relatively simple, so it might not need years to develop. It's all about the characters, and Mike White seems to have a good ability to create interesting characters that people enjoy watching interact with eachother.