Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

RealCoolDad t1_iwmnhoy wrote

So I’ve never watched this show, how did they explain getting rid of Jeff garlin. Is he dead?

antiMATTer724 t1_iwmu5iq wrote

They killed him off.

Fu-Man-Chewbacca t1_iwn4sva wrote

Why did they get rid of him?

antiMATTer724 t1_iwn513o wrote

I haven't read up on it in a while. My understanding is that he made some off-color comments around female xaat members that made them really uncomfortable.

Edit: quick Google search saidnhe was harassing and verbally abusing cast.

Final edit: had nothing to do with the women in the cast, and everything to do with him being verbally abusive. Initially the speculation was him making inappropriate comments, which which was assumed at the time to be code for sexual harassment.

itrainmonkeys t1_iwnepit wrote

Yeah he was apparently making people uncomfortable and was asked to stop/behave himself and he basically blew off the warnings and acted like he wasn't causing any problems. Apparently he was probably just not fun to work with. It was clear in recent years they were kind of shooting around him or not using him with everyone as much

ryanispomp t1_iwoqp2y wrote

Iirc he had negotiated his contact down to a day or so a week by the last few seasons.

itrainmonkeys t1_iworts5 wrote

Makes sense. There were several times where I could tell that they were editing around him as he didn't necessarily share the same shots as the other cast members. They'd be at the dinner table and he'd be at the end. Or they'd be in a room and he'd be sitting on the couch/recliner so they could cut to him. But it wasn't the same as the first few seasons.

_Meece_ t1_iwovz07 wrote

He was his character from Curb iirc.

nithos t1_iwq0aq9 wrote

Ever have a family member that is incredibly caustic and constantly demeaning everyone around them? But when called out on it they respond with "Why can't anyone take a joke anymore?" and double down on the behavior.

Apparently, that's Jeff.

OrbitOrbz t1_iwmp7qd wrote

Well you just answered your own question lol