Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

send3squats2help t1_iyef3c0 wrote

That doesn’t make any sense to me. It is a pretty cringy watch.

−8

MinnesotaNoire t1_iyefc2g wrote

>I don't understand how people like things that are different from the things I like.

send3squats2help t1_iyeg80a wrote

It just seems like a complete miss, I seemingly am the demographic this show was made for, late 30s male, huge stalone fan, grew up watching rambo and rocky- i even love the fan service expendables… And the premise of this show is: old tough guy doesn’t understand “woke” stuff- he strong-arms a legal pot shop and the owner is cool with it, and they’re buddies… and he just makes like “kids these days are so crazy” references… I don’t know it’s not that i just didn’t like it, it seems so utterly terrible, it’s mind blowing that it’s their number 1 show and are desperate for more episodes…

CorporateSympathizer t1_iyem6r0 wrote

If you watch episode 2, he actually justifies his cut by negotiating a better deal for the business (and the numbers suggest profit margins greater than the 20% cut he's taking).

I think the pot shop owner just wants to smoke and chill and he warmed up to the idea of Sly taking over the "finer points of business".

wakingup_withwolves t1_iyemasn wrote

the scene in the car when he’s high is the only time i remember it being slightly old-tough-guy-doesn’t-understand-woke-stuff. i was also worried that was gonna be a major thing in the show, but that’s really the only part like that i can remember. there is a slight element of Phones Bad to the show, but i feel like it’s not extrapolated enough to really be a problem. it’s more just like this guy just did 25 years in prison, of course he doesn’t know that you book an Uber on a phone app.

qtx t1_iyerehk wrote

> It just seems like a complete miss

Someone is really upset their fav show got beat as best new show of the year.

send3squats2help t1_iyet23y wrote

huh? no, i don’t even know what my favorite show is, but it’s probably not even from this network. My top shows in no particular order for the year are probably: House of the Dragon, Andor, the Old Man, Peacemaker, Slow Horses, Severance, and Night Sky. I was just genuinely baffled how anyone liked Tulsa King in particular, as my impression of it was that it was embarrassingly bad. Just weird, I guess. I REALLY WANTED TO LIKE IT.

−2