Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

greentshirtman t1_j1zpynz wrote

>Shadow and bone , Discovery of witches, The Magicians, Irregula

I don't know what any of those are, except the magicians. And I read part of the first book. You clearly don't understand the terms you are abusing. "Young adult literature" means books mean for teens. Not actual youngish-adults. Not people in their twenties. Also, you don't understand the word 'exception'.

HVP2019 t1_j1zrab9 wrote

This is international sub. Just because in your country you think those are words that had to be used this way doesn’t mean it everyone else is using it the same. But sure I can correct my original statement

“A lot of modern adaptations are based on books written for adult-ish people”

The point is still the same just replace “young adult fantasies” with more accurate description you suggested

greentshirtman t1_j1zsxm5 wrote

Then your earlier post makes no sense. Writers on a show based on a child's book series, or a teen book series don't have to handicap themselves, but they often do. While writers for a show based on adult fiction have no such constraints.

HVP2019 t1_j1zuils wrote

You misunderstood my post.

When I listened you examples of fiction I am ( edit) talking about, you said that fiction belongs in the category of “young-ish”

For this category to exist, it means that it is the most popular/tailored to very specific category of people. That also means that adults would not find this type of fiction appealing. Otherwise it would be just adult fiction.

My kids now at the age when they cooled down/outdrew storytelling, drama, dialogues and characters that are typical for adult-is fiction. The same happened to me many many years ago.