Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

IDontGetFunctions t1_j2d7uci wrote

I think the script makes her annoying. Ian is also ridiculously annoying, but at least he's ridiculous. Poppy just seems like a blowhard and there's never really any relief. Makes her an odd protagonist.

freeprince1982 t1_j2d8lt6 wrote

I agree about Ian. He, and most other characters in the show are total memes. They are so unrealistically stuck in their tropes it's almost like reading a comic strip how the jokes play out. That being said, I find it enjoyable as a whole and each of those characters I find very entertaining, with the exception of Poppy Li. I feel like when I see her I see a teenager trying to act in a school play. I see poor acting skills and an overzealous role. I am taken out of the story into a feeling of being bothered by the person. I can try to ignore it for a while and tolerate the show but it just keeps coming back. When I see her trying to act nervous or anxious I just think "Anxious people never act like that. This is so weird."

IDontGetFunctions t1_j2d8v6u wrote

Poppy seems to be written as a mean spirited, overworked, angry code monkey rather than y'know a person. I agree she doesn't portray anxiety well, though. Just seems like the nature of her character is written under an almost maniacal lens. She isn't someone you want to root for, as whenever she gains power, she tends to turn her back on others or goes mad with it. She's an example of a character that isn't written or portrayed AT ALL to earn the reception she's supposed to receive.