Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

HutchyRJS t1_j2dxe3s wrote

Michelle Gomez is brilliant

She’s great in Green Wing, Doctor Who, Doom Patrol etc

DanimalHouse t1_j2ee6jo wrote

And despite what people thought of the show as a whole, she was brilliant in Sabrina.

tcbysprinkles t1_j2efna3 wrote

I LOVED adventures of Sabrina. She was very sexy and powerful in it. Great representation of Lilith.

atomlinson89 t1_j2eixcn wrote

Was also fantastic in the Flight Attendant. Agreed on the Sabrina love.

tcbysprinkles t1_j2en6i9 wrote

I totally forgot about flight attendant! Loved her in that too

demonsneeze t1_j2fqyqg wrote

She was my favorite character on Flight Attendant, absolutely chewed up every scene she was in

GoldGlitters t1_j2f1qv3 wrote

Yeah, I wanted to love the show, but it was a train wreck. In an avalanche. Falling off a mountain. On fire.

But Gomez was the best part and mostly why I kept watching far after I realized the show was not getting better.

raysofdavies t1_j2emgib wrote

“I’m Doctor Who, and these are my assistants, exposition and comic relief.”

That two-parter and the triumvirate between her Missy, Twelve and Simm’s Master is the pinnacle of the show’s entire history.

Dan_Of_Time t1_j2esxxh wrote

The chemistry between all 3 was fantastic.

If there was one Doctor to deal with 2 Masters at once, it had to be Capaldi.

Even though he’s backed into his last corner he still delivers a brutal put down on the two of them that essentially destroys their entire reason for existing. It was beautifully criminal that The Doctor never knew that Missy was coming back to stand with him and the fact Chibnall brought them back after only 1 season was so subpar.

Zenz-X t1_j2fx49h wrote

I just watched that yesterday. I love her accent

jfstompers t1_j2eleih wrote

Great job in The Flight Attendant too. She's just really good.

hollawewantprenup t1_j2eqwwr wrote

Her performance and character in Green Wing is unbelievably funny. The scene where she’s given herself really long fake arms has me dying with laughter every time

Segamaike t1_j2fmdwe wrote

I can never gush about Sue White enough, one of my all-time favorite comedic performances. And Green Wing is so niche, I would have never believed she’d be blowing up this much almost two decades on, but it makes me super happy!

Columbus43219 t1_j2fay37 wrote

The only thing I didn't like was a show at some hospital and it was a comedy. Just didn't work for me.

−5

MasqureMan t1_j2dxzpk wrote

I haven’t even started Doom Patrol yet, but I loved her in Sabrina. She’s the kind of actress that commands the screen regardless of the context

LupinThe8th t1_j2e6hxq wrote

Also the best incarnation of The Master in Doctor Who since Roger Delgado's original in the 70s.

You can tell she's having an absolute blast, managing to be both incredibly funny and surprisingly scary.

Loki-Holmes t1_j2egxul wrote

She’s also a great example of the fact that the doctor being female is as not the problem with the the current run like some people like to say (Either that it sucks becaue she’s female or that people only hate it because she is). Missy was done very well and made sense and was much better accepted. Chibnall’s master and doctor on the other hand were not very good iterations and pretty much everything he’s done has been mediocre.

maheshvara_ t1_j2f2xnt wrote

Yep they wasted a very good actress on the role. I would have loved to see her handle a darker aspect. Maybe the unhinged valeyard.

Songhunter t1_j2eplnp wrote

She was an absolute beast in Doctor Who, chewing through the scenes with effortless ease. I really miss her version of the Master, what a delight she was.

ohdearitsrichardiii t1_j2eq5sn wrote

The scene where she dances with the Daleks makes me smile just thinking about it. She's having so much fun it oozes off the screen and infects you

Gonzostewie t1_j2e3v1p wrote

It's a weird surreal fever dream of a show. It is hilarious and gross and bizarre. I love it.

americasweetheart t1_j2ffly2 wrote

Doom Patrol completely embraces the silly side of comic books. I am surprised people don't talk about it more often.

Scoob1978 t1_j2ekaoa wrote

I love Doom Patrol but it's not for everyone. It's like a live action Invader Zim type show but weirder and much more violent. The characters are all deeply flawed but likable.

teh_fizz t1_j2f2cuw wrote

She’s great but Diane Guerrero is to me the best on Doom Patrol.

LyingCaterpillar t1_j2e9d59 wrote

She was the best part of Sabrina. Once her character became meaningless the show lost most of its magic.

mikexmachina t1_j2e2w6q wrote

Doom Patrol is such a crazy weird show, and Michelle Gomez fits right in. She's always brilliant, but she just knocked it out of the park with her scenes in this week's episode with young Rita.

My honorable mention would be Diane Guerrero, who consistently amazes as Crazy Jane!

MarvelsGrantMan136 OP t1_j2duzdk wrote

Honorable Mentions:

• Julia Schlaepfer - 1923
  • Stephanie Beatriz - Encanto at the Hollywood Bowl
  • Wendell Pierce - Jack Ryan

blue_pen_ink t1_j2ecj28 wrote

Ill throw an extra upvote for Wendell Pierce, went to Death of a Salesman last night and he was phenomenal.

Throwaway1303033042 t1_j2e0t85 wrote

Why is this being downvoted? It’s directly from the article.

RitoRvolto t1_j2e1esz wrote

Some people don't like these performer of the week articles, the concept of it.

I completely disagree with that however.

Throwaway1303033042 t1_j2e1ud1 wrote

I don’t really have any thoughts one way or the other on the list, but I would gladly pay to watch Michelle Gomez read a phone book.

thebetabruh t1_j2ef4et wrote

the addition of Michelle Gomez to any show elevates it

Segamaike t1_j2fmpr5 wrote

She’s been the best thing about the three shows I’ve seen her in; Green Wing, Doctor Who and Sabrina. I doubt that Doom Patrol is any different, as is confirmed by the article

TantricEmu t1_j2ftx7d wrote

She was perfect for Sabrina. Over the top acting in a somehow not completely cheesy way. She’s great.

Archamasse t1_j2ft29n wrote

>"I was blessed with this face," she says. "I was born to play witches and bitches until the day I die."

I love Michelle Gomez.

yodimboi t1_j2ecc5i wrote

I really hope that this gets an ending somehow. Although, judging by the titles, I'd say they're prepared to give the show an ending if they don't survive past season 4. A similar thing seems to be happening with Titans.

crazybunnylady2369 t1_j2el22w wrote

I believe 4 is the last season. They knew that going in so it should have an ending.

PM_ME_CAKE t1_j2engp3 wrote

They've also been planning four seasons for quite a while, you can feel it's been building to this. Look forward to it ending on a high, especially since most plots have indicators for where they'll end (eg Jane and Shelley, Larry and Mr 104, etc).

E: Typo.

Dnashotgun t1_j2f7t8n wrote

It's not officially confirmed but iirc the showrunner has said on twitter that they've planned for up to 4 seasons. It probably is going to get the axe after this season but at least most things should be fairly wrapped up by the end.

Nightshade238 t1_j2dyx6m wrote

This has nothing to do with the article but the picture looks like a painting lol

LyingCaterpillar t1_j2e9gz9 wrote

You look like a painting.

Nightshade238 t1_j2emi97 wrote

Lmao if that's the case then we all look like paintings.

NLP19 t1_j2e9u3g wrote

Deserved! That scene where she apologized to Rita was amazing

davefive t1_j2fcfbz wrote

wait doom Patrol is back

ghostboy138 t1_j2fjj45 wrote

I logged into HBO max for the first time in months yesterday, saw a new doom patrol episode, realized there were a few episodes out already, and danced a jig.

YggdrasilsLeaf t1_j2ewiw7 wrote

This woman can do no wrong in my eyes. I have adored every single character she has ever played. My favorite is probably when she portrayed The Master in Dr. Who. She’s such a great actress. Right up there withAnne Dowd who is hands down my all time favorite actress. Both of them are phenomenal at their craft.

here4here t1_j2fmotm wrote

Love love loved her as Missy in Dr Who

hhhdies t1_j2fj2sk wrote

LOOOOVE HER!

beththebookgirl t1_j2fwdjj wrote

Oh Missy, you’re so fine. Hey Missy, hey hey, hey Missy.

ceaguila84 t1_j2egp1x wrote

Last season was okay for me but this one is really good again.

She's great!

LoveVirginiaTech t1_j2fqyo5 wrote

Nobody mentioning The Flight Attendant? She killed it in that role

AnyNamesLeftAnymore t1_j2fmyk3 wrote

She's just always a cool lady that plays a sassy character everyone loves to death lol.

She really reminds me of Patricia Quinn and I see similarities with their personalities.

t31os t1_j2fstx3 wrote

I feel like they lost their footing (writer change?) once they killed off Dalton's character.

I'd love to see this series keep going, it's hands down the best and strangest DC based series there's been so far, it's the legion of DC (i love both - and coincidently ending too soon also).

AutoModerator t1_j2du5i3 wrote

The 2022 Edition of the r/television Favorite Shows Survey is now open!

You may vote by clicking here.

If you have any questions or concerns, please comment here.

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

Brother_Farside t1_j2fs6r2 wrote

Loved her in everything I’ve seen her in.

ComputerSong t1_j2eyyso wrote

I had a hard time stomaching Doom Patrol season 1.

Does it get better?

−1

PaxonGoat t1_j2f0l5x wrote

If you dont click with the weirdness of the first season you will never enjoy the show basically. Most people feel the first season is the best.

ComputerSong t1_j2f0r10 wrote

It was more like every time there was a scene with Brendan Frazier’s backstory, I wanted to throw the tv out the window.

−11

PaxonGoat t1_j2f13sd wrote

I think this is the first time I have ever seen someone complain about seeing Brendan Frazier acting on reddit.

As Frazier himself said about the character, Cliff comes from a place of toxic masculinity. Who Cliff was as a human isn't supposed to be someone you like.