Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

my__name__is t1_j20m6qu wrote

I loved the show but I don't even know who I'd recommend it to. It's very melodramatic and not everyone's cup of tea.

spectacleskeptic OP t1_j20nf0m wrote

It's not something I typically gravitate towards, but it moved me so deeply and I can't stop thinking about it. So, I don't think you can predict who will like it or won't like it. I think it's just one of those things that will resonate with some people and not others. Just recommend it to everyone! Lol.

inkista t1_j2329ed wrote

I'd recommend it to anyone who likes Dennis Kelly's Utopia and The Third Day, Paolo Sorrentino's The Young Pope/The New Pope, or possibly Tom Rob Smith's London Spy, The Assassination of Gianni Versace, or MotherFatherSon. The slightly surreal heightened stuff with kickass writing crowd. [grin].

All the Hugo Blick fans have mostly be waiting for The English ever since the first BBC press release on the series was issued, because we've all seen The Shadow Line (Roku, Hoopla, Pluto), The Honourable Woman, and Black Earth Rising (Netflix), and we know that if Hugo Blick's writing it, what it's going to be.

DoomPurveyor t1_j231duq wrote

If you're into a rotating menagerie of cartoon villains, this show is for you