Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Smiling_Maelstrom t1_j21bt3p wrote

why was 2019 ridiculously good

only got into tv during lockdown

pm_me_reason_to_livx t1_j21cqua wrote

because the good shows were reeeeeeaaally fucking good and left an impact.

that year we had Demon Slayer, Euphoria, Crash Landing on You etc. also personal hidden gems like Too Old to Die Young etc. And a whole lot more I'm forgetting. TV just went into creative overdrive.

As someone who've been watchin' shows religiously for like a decade now, trust me 2014 and 2019 are the best years in television over the past decade.

edit: why the downvotes? 😐

−38

static_func t1_j21mm7x wrote

Bro you can't say all that and then start with Demon Slayer. It's pretty but just generic shonen anime

Meanwhile Vince Gilligan managed to stick the landing on over 10 years of Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul this year. For the 3rd time.

pm_me_reason_to_livx t1_j21qjht wrote

> Bro you can't say all that and then start with Demon Slayer. It's pretty but just generic shonen anime

you wildin' 😅 but whatever you think about demon slayer... you can't deny its impact.

Better Call Saul is just one show though... when i implied 2019 being a much better year than 2022, it's about how many good shows there were and how good those good shows were.

2019 was fuckin' great dawg. I'm just remembering everything, but to add more: The 2nd seasons of both The OA and Succession dropped that year (arguably their best seasons). Looking For Alaska was fucking great too. The Promised Neverland was incredible (before it fell off in season 2). etc. etc.

−17

static_func t1_j21t6cc wrote

I can't deny any "impact" I'm unaware of. And I only listed 1 show because this article already lists plenty of examples.

pm_me_reason_to_livx t1_j21va9c wrote

> I can't deny any "impact" I'm unaware of.

don't you watch the show, or are you just not linked to the anime fandom like that? i'm not either as im just a casual, but even i know there hasn't been a bigger anime than demon slayer since demon slayer. it's one that really broke out mainstream. even the Japanese prime minister cosigned it.

> And I only listed 1 show because this article already lists plenty of examples.

i mean yea there'll always be plenty of examples in any given year, but my point is i could list even more and better examples for 2019. 😅

bruh i've been watching close to 100, sometimes 100+ shows a year since 2016 - 2017. and believe me... 2019 is a strong fucking year! I forgot to mention Watchmen came out that year. Fuck... The Boys came out that year too! It was a solid year whether you like anime, k-drama, prestige drama or even avant-garde television. solid year.

−8

static_func t1_j21w14q wrote

You sure are starting to list a bunch of shows that are significantly better TV than Demon Slayer and would have made much better examples

pm_me_reason_to_livx t1_j21wks2 wrote

what's your beef with Demon Slayer?? 😂 it's a widely beloved show.

But yea Demon Slayer and the 3 others I said in that first reply were just the first ones I thought of in the moment. I knew there were plenty other options I could've chose (thus why i put "etc").

static_func t1_j21xv1j wrote

I like Demon Slayer just fine but it's hardly quality tv. I like the Fast and Furious franchise too but I'm not expecting them to take home any Oscars