Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Plastic-Repeat2497 t1_j28uzbd wrote

Psych > the mentalist

Enkundae t1_j29n2wh wrote

My first thought too. I loved how Psych made a running joke of taking the piss out of that show

sanchez1887 t1_j2a07uu wrote

I never watched the mentalist just because it was such a blatant rip off of psych. Enjoyed all the jokes about it though.

dragonmp93 t1_j2ata2n wrote

Yeah, what the mentalist had going for them was the same that kept Castle alive for some long, a pretty detective that wanted to strangle the titular character with her bare hands half of the time.

cloppyfawk t1_j2aukn2 wrote

Stana Katic was the main reason I watched Castle religiously back in the days. Gorgeous woman.

bernbabybern13 t1_j2cxkeb wrote

That is a big mistake. They’re very different and the Red John plot is really great.

obscureposter t1_j2bmqjm wrote

That’s true but to be fair they took each show in a very different direction. Mentalist is a drama first with some elements of comedy while Psych is the opposite. Plus Patrick Jane outright says he’s not a psychic while Shawn is the opposite.

bernbabybern13 t1_j2cxipy wrote

Eh. They’re pretty different. Psych is a comedy and The Mentalist is pretty dark. Also Shawn pretends to be psychic, whereas Patrick never does. I personally thought the mentalist was more interesting in terms of watching how Patrick’s brain works and the tricks he uses and how he thinks. Shawn’s is more just quick flashes of things and then he’ll make his claim etc.