Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Artistic-Toe-8803 t1_j1pnfc1 wrote

I've considered watching Six Feet Under many times but it's just hard to approach. The synopsis is like the least interesting thing I've read in a minute, just doesn't seem like an interesting premise for a show.

How would you describe it to someone if you had to sell them on it? Ik this is a hard question, because I've been flustered in the past thinking of ways to sell one of my friends on Succession. I'm familiar with prestige HBO shows, how they're often episodic, very character driven, without much emphasis on plot. Succession, which I love, is the same way. But SFU's from the era when they were also incredibly slow. The Sopranos is a good example, it's a great show but each episode really makes you feel the hour go by.

speashasha t1_j1q0s8o wrote

Honestly, I find Six Feet Under more accessible than Succession. SFU is more of a character-based drama, but the pilot episode throws you into the show and its overall themes quite quickly. Additionally, there is plenty of humor and moments of magical realism that add enough distraction for it not to feel "slow." Additionally, most of the characters start out incredibly likeable and only with time become less sympathetic.

hakugene t1_j1pph0t wrote

Honestly just knowing that you like Succession is enough of a reason to recommend it. They're different for sure, but I would expect a lot of overlap in fanbase. Excellent ensemble cast, centered on an interesting family. Well written, great as a drama but with a very dark sense of humor. I watched it for the first time 10+ years ago, but re-watched it it recently and still loved it.

Fthewigg t1_j1q7pbs wrote

Can you handle watching spoiled, privileged people self-sabotage and shoot themselves in the foot nonstop and still feel sympathy for them and become attached? If so, this is your show. If not, then perhaps not.