Submitted by SteveMidnight t3_zxrgjn in television

The Last of Us has been my favorite video game since it’s release. I remember playing it and thinking, “This could be one of the biggest shows on tv if it ever got produced.”

What’s the excitement surrounding this show from people who had never heard of the series before the announcement of the television series?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

shaka_sulu t1_j22b9bi wrote

I don't play video games.

• Pedro Pascal is one of the few actors I'd watch eating mashed potatoes.
  • Trailer looks awesome.
  • I loved The Walking Dead and World War Z. I welcome another Zombie dystopia... or at least this is what I think it is (don't spoil it if it isn't)
  • I Trust HBO... this is what good programing do to a brand.

Kssio_Aug t1_j21v9fb wrote

Giving how popular games are nowadays, specially Playstation big IPs, I think it's very unlikely people who already know about the show never heard about the game before.

That being said, since I like TLoU more for the story and characters rather than gameplay, I think it could indeed make a pretty good show. Specially on HBOs hands.

pnwinec t1_j22hbr2 wrote

I have never played the game but have heard how amazing it is and I am thoroughly excited for the TV show. I’m hoping this can be the first show that does a game justice.

HVP2019 t1_j21ymil wrote

I didn’t know about the video game till I saw previews and I was told it was based on video game.

I am exited for the show because of cast and because it is set in apocalyptic world ( is it??? I am not 100 percent sure, but I liked previews)

preppytarg t1_j221cy3 wrote

I've heard of it. Never played it. Never will. Not a gamer.

But I'm excited for the show, as I'm a fan of Pascal and Craig Mazin.

Sephiroth0327 t1_j224jit wrote

I’ve never gotten around to playing it but it’s my wife’s favorite game. I’ve been looking forward to experiencing it without the game as a reference.

TootieSummers t1_j21x4jc wrote

I’ve only heard of the game through ads but know nothing of the game. Excited for the show though.

Select_Action_6065 t1_j22ael5 wrote

I had never heard of the game and I am mildly interested in the show.

dilldoeorg t1_j21w2vm wrote

Have anyone seen the movie 'The girl with all the gifts'?

It's the closest I've seen to a Last of Us movie.

jackelripper t1_j221fl4 wrote

I havent seen it but just looked it up. Sounds interesting altho eerily similar in scope regarding TLOU virus.

dilldoeorg t1_j22ek63 wrote

It's basically if Ellie was taken in by the Firefly instead of Joel. Even the virus & zombies are similar to the game.

BourbonandStargate t1_j2263th wrote

Ahhh, no kidding? I didn't know anything about the game other than what I've read about in stuff about the show. But I really liked The Girl With All the Gifts so now I'm looking forward to this one.

WordsAreSomething t1_j21xe34 wrote

I know of the game and some of the basic plot but I've never played it, probably never will since I'm not big into story based games.

I'm excited mostly for Craig Mazin

CornOnTheCoby t1_j22s92x wrote

My parents don't play video games. They have never heard of The Last of Us. They saw a trailer for the show before an episode of House of the Dragon. My mom asked me if I'd heard of it, saying it looked cool and they might watch it. Which was funny to me because it's my favorite video game.

INMATEofARKHAM t1_j223bct wrote

I've actually played it but gave up a few hours in and sold my copy of the game... which I never did.

It was a real love-hate relationship. I fell in love with every cutscene and grew to hate the game when it came to its gameplay... Eventually, the hate won out, and I moved to other games.

I am very interested in the show. Will likely pick up HBO Max at some point to watch it.

batsofburden t1_j22vduv wrote

I am. I am not into video games at all, unless they're of the Tetris variety, but I love post-apocalyptic stories, so I am looking forward to trying this show out.

SerDire t1_j225jpi wrote

I’ve played both games and can’t wait to see people reactions. I don’t play many games but that series is easily one of the best I’ve ever played

Westerosifatlord t1_j22hyeu wrote

I’ve never played but I know the entire plot line of the game as well as the prequel and sequel. It should do pretty well

MustrumRidcully0 t1_j23lgh7 wrote

I've heard of it, but never played it. By what I know, it sounds like it would be good TV material.

Desperate-Risk t1_j23m2b6 wrote

Heard of the game, just never got around to playing it. I’ll probably play it after season 1 ends. Honestly just excited for the show because it sounds like it’s going to be really well done, and it’s on HBO which I trust to handle the story.

AutoModerator t1_j21uqzj wrote

The 2022 Edition of the r/television Favorite Shows Survey is now open!

You may vote by clicking here.

If you have any questions or concerns, please comment here.

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

VelvetElvis t1_j220fkz wrote

I'm expecting prestige Resident Evil. If that's what it is, I'm here for it.

daboot013 t1_j22ceoe wrote

Also the voice/mo cap actors for Joel and Ellie make a cameo in the series. Troy Baker as a henchman, Ashley Johnson as a woman trying in the trailer after (assuming) giving birth.

Wh00ster t1_j22dqje wrote

Never played it

TAG_X-Acto t1_j22g0sp wrote

Heard of the game, will never play it, and likely won’t watch the show. I haven’t heard any excitement about the show really.

RunningToStayStill t1_j22jztn wrote

I've always wanted Cormac McCarthy's The Road to be made into a TV series. This TLoU adaptation is the closest I'll probably get to have that wish come true.

failedlogic t1_j25rgrl wrote

I've played the game many times and have also compared it to the road, but after awhile I decided to overall tone and world is more similar to children of men

penguin032 t1_j231dv7 wrote

I haven't played it since no playstation, but I look forward to watching it / playing it when ported to pc.

ralpher1 t1_j23n3ys wrote

I never played the game though I am a video gamer. Not really excited but expect it will be good and will watch it when it comes out.

inkista t1_j25xa6e wrote

Not a gamer at all (the last Naughty Dog game I ever played because my sister was into it was Crash Bandicoot :-). But if Craig Mazin's showrunning it, I'm in. I've been listening to Scriptnotes ever since Chernobyl...

tigersanddawgs t1_j25zsm1 wrote

I have never played the video game, haven’t played video games since high school (I’d barely even heard of the last of us), and honestly my natural reaction to hearing about this show was to roll my eyes because I’m not interested in nerd culture and was annoyed that super talented people’s efforts were being spent on a video game TV show.

Id say I’m much more interesting in watching it than I’m excited about it. I really like a lot of the people involved and HBO seems to be really getting behind it and they rarely seem to miss when they back something so I’m trusting them to make something I’ll like or at the very least appreciate but may not be for me.

SteveMidnight OP t1_j26iu35 wrote

I get where you’re coming from. But imo, besides for being a video game, there is nothing nerdy about it. My fiancée doesn’t like video games but regularly requested to watch me play TLoU because she was so invested in the story.

sysaphiswaits t1_j26ntgd wrote

I’ve heard of The Last of Us, and I’ve intentionally avoided it because of that. But, I’m pretty sure the TV version is going to suck me in.

menotyourenemy t1_j23po8u wrote

No interest in video games and I wouldn't say I'm excited but I am curious.