Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

SuspendedInKarmaMama t1_j5tjgpb wrote

Because it's ridiculous that they should not be allowed to do something cause people on the other side of the planet had minstrel shows a hundred years ago.

To think they should follow America's morals regarding the matter is the definition of cultural imperialism.

Fallcious t1_j5tlb9w wrote

I agree with your sentiment that we shouldn’t worry about the US’s morals when it comes to entertainment. I also think it was obvious at the time that painting yourself to look like another race was problematic at best.

SuspendedInKarmaMama t1_j5trj5y wrote

But the only reason it's considered "problematic" is because of Americans trying to force their values onto everyone.

It's no different from Muslims who have never left the middle east being upset that in America every woman isn't wearing a hijab.

Fallcious t1_j5ttr4v wrote

Are you sure that’s not just your opinion? I’m pretty sure there are a lot of people out there that would be offended by comedic actors dressing up as Asian people, black people or Indian people for its comedic value, regardless of any U.S. moral values they may have been exposed to.

As I say, I (with all the sensibilities of a middle aged white man) was rather surprised they went ahead and produced “come fly with me” when they did. I was not surprised at the level of criticism it received! I wondered if maybe they were trying to rise above accusations of racist intent by creating fantastic characters, but the show was really rather banal.

SuspendedInKarmaMama t1_j5u7svx wrote

> I’m pretty sure there are a lot of people out there that would be offended by comedic actors dressing up as Asian people, black people or Indian people for its comedic value,

I think that is a result of American cultural imperialism, which is racist in and of itself in that it only applies to people of a certain skin colour.

No one is upset that Eddie Murphy or Dave Chappelle did "whiteface".

sweetpeapickle t1_j5uyycg wrote

They would be now. It's called evoultion in basic respect of another human being. There's plenty out there to make fun of without going there.

NornIronLad t1_j5uk5jp wrote

The BBC literally broadcast a Minstrel show for years. Then there's the whole Golliwog thing. You clearly haven't a clue.

sweetpeapickle t1_j5uypac wrote

Lol, wth does it have to do us? If it were Dancing with the Stars, because that actually is American, I can see people having issues-personally I could care less. But to blame us for what's happening on "your"side.....you can be blamed for things also.