Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

MarvelsGrantMan136 OP t1_j6jfgjg wrote

Lisa Hanawalt, Creator and Executive Producer of Tuca & Bertie:

>“I originally created Tuca & Bertie for Netflix, but when they cancelled it after just one season, we fought to get the series picked up at Warner’s Adult Swim network. The women-led series had been a cult hit and a critical darling—the Warner execs knew it needed advertising support and time to grow viewers in the male-dominated adult animation space. But the merger went through right before the most recent season launched, and almost everyone who worked on the Tuca & Bertie marketing team was laid off. Then several of the show’s main executives at Adult Swim and HBO Max left in the turmoil. Planned marketing projects to promote the new season didn’t happen. Then we learned the show had been cancelled. It’s already harder for shows centered on women, and this merger cost us the support we needed to thrive.”

Claudia Forestieri, Creator and Executive Producer of Gordita Chronicles:

>“I got into television to counter the negative mainstream stereotypes about Latino communities and tell stories like Gordita Chronicles, which features a young Dominican girl who immigrates with her family to Miami. The showrunner and I did everything in our power to set the show up for success, and the first season was showered with positive reviews and strong viewership numbers. But after the merger, HBO Max was given a new mandate from its Discovery leadership to cut costs and Gordita Chronicles was cancelled just five weeks after first airing, and will now even be removed from the platform. The studio executives claimed the cancellation reflected HBO ‘rebranding’—by implication, away from shows about Latino families. This merger has provided pretty stark and immediate evidence that industry consolidation not only harms diversity and inclusion, but can also contribute to the erasure of U.S. Latinos.”

Moisés Zamora, Creator and Executive Producer of Whistleblower:

>“I created a drama that focused on women lawyers and advocates who fought against a culture of sexual harassment and corruption in the U.S. military, achieving historic gains after the murder of Mexican American soldier Vanessa Guillén at Fort Hood. After a competitive bidding process with multiple outlets, I sold Whistleblower to HBO Max in February 2021. During development, we received only compliments from our executives. The leads were three BIPOC women, and it was a story I was excited to tell. Despite it all, the series was cancelled soon after the merger, before it went into production. The press speculation is that the new company is focusing more on what’s seen as ‘Middle America’ content. But Black, Asian, and Latinx communities are Middle America too.”

JimBrady86 t1_j6jiqkz wrote

They all sound like they're sociology majors from Berkeley.

−66

Buckeyeguy37 t1_j6jtgy5 wrote

All those statements are so weird.

Dayofsloths t1_j6mjfv6 wrote

It's like, "you guys realize you're making cartoons, right? You're not social crusaders, you're cartoonists."

−4

akcheat t1_j6o0e8u wrote

Art, notorious for not trying to say anything about the world we live in.

YoungHazelnuts77 t1_j6nymco wrote

Well Tuca & Bertie was a fantastic cartoon that continued and evolved what Hanawalt did with Bojack Horsman and her works in other mediums. So its quality as a cartoon for sure wasn't the reason for the cancelation. I'm not saying that misogyny is the reason either. But I can see how women that make quality products in a pretty much male dominated industry and still get their shows canceled will look for answers in the social status-quo

JonBonIver t1_j6piqq0 wrote

TV shows have famously never commented on the current social climate