Submitted by RusevReigns t3_10iw513 in television

I don't even like Willow more than Rings of Power, but a takeaway I had is that it feels like a completely different genre than GOT/ROP/etc. in doing this separate light adventure thing. Rings of Power may have had some differences than Game of Thrones but ultimately Amazon's main goal was to make another GOT type hit and the influence creeped in. Not just battle scenes but even things like monologues or characters talking to each other were unavoidably influenced by GOT. And Tolkein and George RR just don't go together that well. George RR being the opposite of Tolkein was the point. Tolkein probably would've liked Willow more than GOT.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

rikashiku t1_j5h5sx1 wrote

I like how you start with talking about Willow in the title, and then talk about Game of Thrones the rest of the time compared to Rings of Power.

I didn't get GoT vibes from RoP. I got more Wheel of Time vibes than GoT.

A fantasy tv show with a budget and a rushed storyline, tons of exposition, characters who are supposed to be clever making ignorant mistakes, and battle sets.

Only, Rings of Power felt both expensive looking and cheap.

Vestalmin t1_j5k9uua wrote

Also no examples, no comparisons of them, just that they’re all alike. Like how are the monologues and battles like GoT, because I know plenty of fucking speeches in Tolkiens work

kazh t1_j5htmw9 wrote

There posts get more sloppy every time.

foundlast t1_j5gw7sc wrote

I didn't really get any GOT vibes at all from ROP but regardless it wasn't a good show

jayz93j t1_j5hh9zo wrote

I enjoyed it

G_Liddell t1_j5i9o3w wrote

Fuck the haters, Rings was so much fun and so gorgeous and engaging and I loved all the characters and costumes and sets and plots and music and I can't wait for more

−2

trtryt t1_j5ig4if wrote

the constant starring into the distant is so annoying, esp. by that Queen regent