Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

pheldegression t1_j6h4qqp wrote

Wolverine getting his adamantium skeleton/backstory.

Edit to add: I am not a comic book guy, but it is my understanding that the whole weapon x experiments are actually a retcon of Wolverine's original story, and so well done and compelling that it seems like it's always been

Ionlypostwhenstoned0 t1_j6hg8h5 wrote

From memory he originally had the claws on the gloves, they weren’t in him, when he faced the Hulk.

Then it was that Alpha Flight found him in the snow and his bones and claws were unbreakable metal. He had no memory of who he was.

Then the Weapon X Program was hinted at more and more in X-Men and then finally fully explained in the Weapon X story by Claremont and Windsor-Smith.

Then it was added to and altered with new characters being added to the origin and Weapon X.

Until finally they came out with the bone claws thing where he wasn’t “Logan” but “James Howlett” and the adamantium was added to existing claws rather than pure adamantium.

And now who knows where it’s at. Guy definitely gets fucked around a lot though.

I could be wrong about some of this…happy to stand corrected.

MonolithJones t1_j6i8pl9 wrote

The claws were meant to be part of his gloves, that’s correct, but it wasn’t mentioned in the comics so it’s not something that needed to be retconned. I think the claws were shown to be a part of him within a year of being introduced.

And another minor thing-BWS wrote and drew Weapon X, Claremont had no involvement.

PerfectZeong t1_j6ifdlv wrote

Yeah theres a scene early in Claremont x men where Storm is shocked to find out the claws were in Logan's hands and that was the first time it was made explicit that the claws are in his body.

muad_dibs t1_j6jkl5a wrote

The bone claws came way before Origins came out. Magneto ripped the adamantium off his bones and that’s when people found out they were his claws. I remember before reading it, they wanted to do the story in the comics before the movies made up their own origin story about him.

dem0nhunter t1_j6hhtk1 wrote

>whole weapon x experiments are actually a retcon of Wolverine's original story

I don't think so