Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

schulzie420 t1_j8n1vqt wrote

Stay off Anime kiddos, it'll keep you from getting the job you really love

Morlik t1_j8n32zj wrote

Why would anyone ever hire an animator who is passionate about the art?

Itsquiteapickle t1_j8n73rr wrote

Or they were a My Hero Academia fan…you’re better off without the job

dailysunshineKO t1_j8n866s wrote

Yeah…guess it’s better to visit a state park or two at some point. Then you can say your hobby is “hiking”.

We watched the whole Natuto series (well, not all the movies) and we enjoyed it. My husband moved on to Bleach but I just can’t dedicate the time to it. I used to have a co-worker that was into anime too (he’d watch it with his wife) and we’d trade suggestions. It can be hard to find series that aren’t misogynistic/focus on that one hot guy with a harem following. That seems to turn a lot of people off of anime.

GsTSaien t1_j8n8p6b wrote

Nah man your mistake was praising naruto. The premise of the show is an underdog story about someone with little talent and no help overcoming impossible odds; a point which is completely invalidated by the fact he was born the most powerful being in history, has people constantly do shit for him and even die for him, and all of his shortcomings are his own fault and never a lack of talent or results of unfair circumstances.

Only half joking here. Obviously that is not why this was a mistake, and you are allowed to like what you like, but naruto is not well written imo.

Corodima t1_j8n8zxh wrote

I mean, it's written in my resume that one of my hobbies is manga and it wasn't a problem to reach a nice position. The 10 minutes of rambling though might be an issue but don't feel like you have to hide it or anything.

Antassium t1_j8n9mqu wrote

Yeah, not so much the anime, but more likely the rambling 😂

Phighters t1_j8ncj0o wrote

Considering this is for a sales job, I wouldn't hire you either. Reading the room and the person you're speaking with is like Job #1. It's not about the anime, that can be your hobby and your passion, just don't go off the cliff with that (or anything else).

The_Order_66 t1_j8nd8gs wrote

I mean, it would have been worse if you started rambling about Lovers in Law.....

goochisdrunk t1_j8neh0r wrote

Anime/hobbies/passions aren't the issue, but its self awareness and focus that need to be on point during job interviews.

SeperateCross t1_j8neye9 wrote

So the job might be a dream but maybe not the company. I spent 30 mins of my hour long interview for an insurance sales job talking aboutthe terminator and anime

I'm currently one of the top performers and the former director (he's in aa different division now) goes to special anime screening with me and my friends

ZhugeSimp t1_j8nf1vk wrote

Why do people never use the rules from the old internet. NEVER REVEAL YOUR POWER LEVEL.

ZhugeSimp t1_j8nfkqd wrote

They are absolutely the issue. Watching anime is not considered a "normal" hobby in America and often gets you ostracized/bullied (in my childhood it was and those people are now your interviewers)

Same reason it was public suicide to be a scifi/dnd geek 30 years ago.

In general when people ask about hobbies you play it safe with the standard "movies and hiking" type approach. People want to hire other normal people and not those who might be different/not fit in with work culture.

−7

MANLYTRAP t1_j8nfn1n wrote

I think the only mistake you made was dragging it out, just a simple "oh I like anime" wouldn't have been that bad but a 15 minute rant is... yikes

also I'd suggest you get some hobbies that don't include consuming media, drawing, knitting, crochet etc. because saying that your hobby is watching anime is like saying that your hobby is watching tv, not that good on paper

Alymon t1_j8nfnql wrote

I mean, if I was interviewing you for any job and you talked passionately about an interest for 15 minutes, I'd be happy I got you to open up and show your personality. I wouldn't be put off by the subject just because I'm not interested in anime. It would help me to be a better manager for you by knowing it, so it's a positive in my book. Sorry they seem like they are jerks about it.

llamassassin t1_j8ngixg wrote

Yeah, that was my thought too. They probably didn't care so much about the anime but wanted to know why you were applying for this job. When your interests were clearly elsewhere.

Squigglepig52 t1_j8nhed8 wrote

Speaking as an old school geek, no, it really wasn't social suicide to have those interests in the 90s.

Early 80s it was a bit of a status issue, but even then, it depended upon whether you had other interests and outlets.

Nempopo029 t1_j8nhews wrote

Hey man, happens to the best of us. Don't let this stop you from pursuing a job in animation (if that was what your interview was for). If you described it how it happened exactly, then it just needed some tweaking to rebound off it for the purpose of showing your interest in the job. You said you wanted to pursue animation because of it if that was the job you were interviewing for, if you described the fight scenes, the high octane scenes and how they were animated you would show how that made you passionate. The characters you feel are nuanced loop it back to animation. How character A will act and perform certain ways and it automatically tells the audience how the character is feeling. How serious the character is taking the fight.

They are looking for passion when they ask those "what's your hobby" types of questions. You just told him how inspiring your hobbies are to you. You just need to try again.

And personally if you got your dream job first try, I feel like your dream job is just the first branch in a far more inspired tree.

TL;DR you just need interview practice, and talking about Naruto for 15 minutes can be a strength.

bloveddemon t1_j8nhgm3 wrote

Interviewer: So, what is your biggest weakness?

This guy: ... And that's why Sasuke really should have been the main character ...

Poopard t1_j8ni0s0 wrote

How do I report this for wasting my time

Vathar t1_j8ni43h wrote

It feels to me like hobbies are only relevant on entry jobs or for younger hires who don't really have a fully fleshed out CV yet.

When you have a bit of experience and apply for more advanced positions, you have better things to discuss in an interview and certainly don't have enough CV space to describe your hobbies.

At best, you may spend a minute or two saying what you enjoy outside work if the recruiter goes for the culture fit angle, but that's about it.

ZhugeSimp t1_j8njjx9 wrote

I'm a fellow 90s, I hid in a school classroom during lunch to avoid being bullied for being a fat kid who liked anime and mmos.

It didn't help that you had Naruto headband wearers around the school either.

goochisdrunk t1_j8nk68p wrote

Disagree flat out. When I got into it in middle school early mid 90s it was the domain of nerds only, to be sure.
But DBZ, Pokemon, and others were standard afterschool cartoons on broadcast tv stations by the late 90s. Manga was in Borders/Barns and Noble Bookskstores. Early 2000s saw late night CN/Adult Swim almost completely Anime or anime inspired programming at times.

Theres tons of 30-40 y olds out there now to whom Anime is completely normal TV entertainment. And with the tendencies towards more adult themes than traditional western animation, it's obviously not just for children to enjoy.

Now, there's a generational divide (I never saw Naruto for example) but I'd hardly flinch if a follow middle aged adult or younger told me they were into Anime as a hobby.

Though again to reiterate my previous point. Having the off-beat hobby is fine, generally, riffing on it for 10 minutes is the thing that would raise an interviewers alarm bells.

Alexexy t1_j8nkwn9 wrote

I'm in my early 30s, I would consider myself somewhat nerdy but most of my friends have previously watched anime at least once in their lives. We grew up with toonami and shows like DBZ, Guran Lagaan, and Full Metal Alchemist.

I dont really obsessively follow new anime any more but my gf and I watched Akiba Maid War recently and she died laughing several times in that show. Girlfriend still somewhat follows the story of one piece and her sister which is in her early 20s watches some Yuri stuff.

I think anime watching is relatively common. Maybe as common as people who own xbox in terms of cultural prevalence.