Submitted by Independent_Factor65 t3_11dtp2a in tifu

So I got into stargazing recently and I've been doing it with just my bare eyes so I decided to upgrade and bought a pair of binoculars to better see the stars and planets. I tested them out the next clear night after buying them.

Now before I continue, there are a few important things to know. My backyard faces south and my neighbors to the south leave their blinds wide open all the time so you can kinda see what's going on in there when they have the lights on.

That night, I used my binoculars to look at the stars from my deck. I observed Jupiter, Mars, and the Moon, as well as constellations like Auriga and Leo. My fuck up was using my binoculars to look at the southern sky towards the star Sirius and the constellation Orion. My neighbor must have noticed me looking towards their house with binoculars because I noticed their blinds were shut all of a sudden (because my peripheral vision saw that there was no longer any light coming out the windows, not because I was looking at their windows). It probably didn't help that I went inside as soon as they did this because I realized that this must be what they were thinking and didn't want anyone else to think the same. In hindsight, if I had continued stargazing as usual, they'd have probably realized I was not spying on them.

The next day, one of the neighbors actually came over and told my parents that I was spying on them with binoculars. My parents angrily questioned me about this, thinking I was some sort of perv. Eventually, I was able to convince them that I was in fact stargazing. I guess from now on, I'll just stick to my bare eye.

TL;DR: I decided to use binoculars to stargaze but my neighbors thought I was spying on them and told my parents.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

treacherous-dog t1_jaar86s wrote

Nah fk them.

Stargaze away pal. They can just close their blinds from now on.

Kayakin4Life t1_jadots2 wrote

Couldn't they just as easily argue that he should go to a park for stargazing? We're all allowed to live on our property as we choose... whether it be with blinds/shades open or stargazing aren't we?

−1

AcrobaticSource3 t1_jaaw6f0 wrote

At least you didn’t scream “I see Uranus!”

hahnsoloii t1_jabbbws wrote

He very well could have! Uranus spends all of 2023 in the constellation of Aries the Ram. In 2023, Uranus is visible in evenings from Jan. 1 to April 23; mornings from May 27 to Nov. // Source space.com

Ps every time I reread the above line my immaturity grows stronger.

JeemsLeeZ t1_jabxebs wrote

Your neighbour sounds like the person that would poop with the door open and then complain someone walked in on them pooping. Heheh cretin.

Jalapeno_Jard-on t1_jabyhen wrote

Get a telescope so you can actually see something through your neighbor’s window

curmudgeonpl t1_jacgxda wrote

Not a TIFU at all. Your neighbors suffer from arrested development, and your parents' reaction wasn't particularly reasonable either. You're free to look at whatever you want with your binoculars and absolutely shouldn't take your neighbors complaints into consideration while watching the sky. Also, technically, (not that I recommend being a creepy asshole/paparazzo) as long as your neighbors do things in the open, or in front of windows, and you don't behave in a way that could be considered harassment or stalking, you're totally within your rights to just gawp at them all day long.

Latitude22 t1_jae0nfl wrote

Sounds like a win, closed blinds means less light. I see no downside, gaze away. Youre outside, doing shit, not causing trouble.

kind of a strange reaction from your parents though, my response to the neighbor would have been, “well keep your blinds closed if you don’t want people looking”.

Caledric t1_jacktmo wrote

Just tell your parents if they bought you a decent telescope you wouldn't look near as pervy to the neighbors who for some reason leave their blinds open facing a young child while having sex dressed up as weird animals.

hexaflop t1_jacv6us wrote

If they ask again just tell them "Uranus was glowing tonight so I just had to get a closer look!"

WorkMeBaby1MoreTime t1_jacm0my wrote

No, they can just close their blinds. Why lose your fun when you're doing nothing wrong? Not to mention, them closing the blinds makes it better as it removes the light.

Put your binoculars on Pleiades, your mind will be blown. Trivia note, that constellation is what the Subaru hood ornament is based on. Not sure if you know, but Google Sky Map is quite handy for identifying and even finding objects in the sky.

Elendur_Krown t1_jadt7ko wrote

If you want to continue stargazing with the binoculars you could simply use something to block their windows from your view. A standing screen would probably do the trick.

Harry_Gorilla t1_jaefj07 wrote

Nah. You paid for the binocs. Use them

mechtil_d t1_jaciws1 wrote

I’d tell them to calm down their inflated egos and keep stargazing.

kmz57 t1_jaf3pdo wrote

Look at it this way bro', you can promise a woman the stars....and deliver