Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

AccentFiend t1_j8dgr25 wrote

No one really understands what a burden being “the funny one” is. We aren’t funny because we want to me or because we’re “naturally talented”. It’s born out necessity and comes at a price we don’t talk about. It’s manageable until something like COVID happens and suddenly everyone is leaning on you. How are you supposed to tell the people who have depended on you on and off forever that their standard precedent needs a break? They can’t handle it. You can’t handle it. It’s just broken pieces of everyone everywhere.

I like being witty/funny, and I understand the cost, but damn if I don’t just want to curl up with a book or ten and hide from the world sometimes. There are times when Voldemort doesn’t seem to bad lol

mcnathan80 t1_j8dh6fk wrote

Ahh

The Tears of a Clown

Hugs to you fellow Pagliacci

JuxtaPissEngine t1_j8zaw0e wrote

You got the squirrel on the head... Being the "funny one" is just being able to articulate the absurdity of, well, society - I would say - life - but that's not very accurate. Life be what it be - societies make shit weird. But yeah ppl think I'm just "naturally talented" at making a dark joke out of everything - no, y'all taught me this. But the cost is tremendous.
They need a voice of reason veiled in a joke - we need a shoulder to cry on - bc we can see how fucked up everything is but we can't do anything about it... So, just make a joke.

AccentFiend t1_j8zq38o wrote

I’m getting squirrels now, eh? Just call me Katniss and light me on fire 😉

JuxtaPissEngine t1_j8zv7zl wrote

You got the joke - congrats, you get life - now you hafta deal with it... (What's the best way to keep a baby from running around a circle?) But yes, self immolation seems as good a way as any. I wouldn't know - I've never died before... Or, have I?