Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Big_dad_big_dad t1_j9qx66u wrote

Man this is probably my worst fear. Falling off into the open ocean miles from shore. I never learned to swim, but have gone unconscious under the water twice. Just hearing your story makes me want to stay out of the water for a while.

Amazing to hear you made it back to shore, and grateful you're willing to share this with us all.

Rest well dude, you've earned it

ThrowAwayAnother1991 OP t1_j9qxpsb wrote

Learn to swim. Could save your life or someone else’s. It’s pretty easy, babies and puppies can do it naturally.

But yeah. It was pretty scary. No one to hear you scream. Just the wrath of mother natures greatest force for miles in every direction. Biggest thing is to just stay calm, and not over exert. Unfortunately if you’re not found relatively quickly you will die. I swallowed so much salt water I’m surprised I didn’t pass out from the headache of dehydration. That would be the one thing I would have managed better was not swallowing so much water. I was saving energy by swimming on my back but that also meant waves would wash over my mouth every 30 seconds

Big_dad_big_dad t1_j9r22dy wrote

Trying to get back in the water this summer and overcome the fear. As a kid i would just freak the fuck out once my head went under water. But I've got a better handle on things these days, and after hearing your story, I believe it's time for me to learn.

I appreciate it man, hope you heal well