Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

tallerthanu17 t1_jcw1u8w wrote

My wife did this with water when we flew one time. Had a water bottle she filled up after security checkpoint. Get on the plane and up in the air. Halfway through the flight she gets thirsty so grabs the bottle and pops up the straw. Water promptly soaks her and the guy sitting next to her— both were too stunned to move till the bottle was empty.. Fortunately the guy was a great sport about it and we laughed about it walking through the airport.

MoonTearChild OP t1_jcw1zej wrote

Thank god he was okay about it I couldn't imagine being stuck sat next to someone for hours after that if not

tallerthanu17 t1_jd3gpxu wrote

Yeah would’ve been a brutal ride if he was mad about it. Later on in the flight we hit turbulence and everyone was screaming like we were gonna die. Ol boy and my wife were clutching hands, both white as a sheet. Definitely my most interesting flying experience

ASillyGiraffe t1_jcwc2o9 wrote

Same thing happened to me once, also on a plane. I actually switched to wide mouth bottles after that...

JamieDrone t1_jcwd0dt wrote

It’s because the air pressure on a plane is less than on the ground, but the sealed bottle stays the same pressure, so upon opening, it will violently depressurize

icematt12 t1_jcxfi7u wrote

So is a solution to prevent this to keep opening and closing the bottle during ascent? Get the pressure inside decreasing in steps.

ZoraksGirlfriend t1_jcxfvex wrote

I’ve had this happen once and have avoided it since by slightly opening the bottle (where some pressure gets released) and leave it like that through takeoff and then do it again for landing.

JamieDrone t1_jcwd0zy wrote

It’s because the air pressure on a plane is less than on the ground, but the sealed bottle stays the same pressure, so upon opening, it will violently depressurize

Ktulu789 t1_jcxexzx wrote

It's interesting how you got up and down voted for the same comment.

BTW it's true.

JamieDrone t1_jcyms7t wrote

I figured I would let both ppl know, but I guess they mysterious black box that is Reddit didn’t appreciate me putting the same thing twice