Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Magdalan t1_jcwjal4 wrote

>recently introduced a rule that we can't bring cans of drink in bc of risk of improvised weapons

Where the fuck do you work man? O.o Prison?

MoonTearChild OP t1_jcwji1x wrote

Close! A mental health hospital

Magdalan t1_jcwnnvx wrote

Ah that would have been my second guess. A little more precaution there isn't a bad thing.

MoonTearChild OP t1_jcwp9s2 wrote

Most definitely, I've already had enough of a bad time without any improvised weapons haha, I definitely don't want to make it worse

Magdalan t1_jcwwwt7 wrote

Worked a stint in a facility for geriatric mental patients, and yeah, some things can surprise you. even though you worked with someone for 2 years already. Luckily for you this was just some food colouring on the ceiling haha. Cans weren't a problem, but I can surely see why they can be. People can get very very crafty.

MoonTearChild OP t1_jcwxbxg wrote

Yup, basically what I'm doing at the moment - elderly with complex behaviour, mental health and learning difficulties. What I don't understand is we can't have cans on unit yet we have a whole selection of about 40 DVDs in the main lounge just sat on a table, which apparently are just as effective a weapon

AnEpicTaleOfNope t1_jcycabq wrote

it's odd and not odd at the same time. Cans, once drunk from, are rubbish, and so using it as a weapon doesn't seem a share. DVDs are never rubbish, they are always useful, so perhaps people's minds don't turn to using them as something else! But i agree it's also a bit silly.

A hello also from another that used to work in such a ward. I talked to some amazing people (old chap who liked to clean the table after food, telling me about how they sanded the tables in the boats when he was in the army) and then some upsetting stuff of course (russian lady just screaming all day) and some funny (if you wanted to get out, just shout "there's the tea trolley!" so they all trundle off happily down the hall and you can use the keypad and escape). It was an adventure.

Magdalan t1_jcxcqm5 wrote

Yeah that's pretty odd. Especially since dvd's are much sturdier material too.

maohvixen t1_jcxe5c1 wrote

Basically the same thing or at least it feels the same.