Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Comparison-Intrepid t1_jcwlo3n wrote

I wonder if diet juice (the kind with no sugar) would make a difference or if it’s the acidity?

tygerkittn t1_jcwml1r wrote

Aspartame destroys tooth enamel so I doubt it would be better

Comparison-Intrepid t1_jcwv929 wrote

Well no juice for my future kids then I guess 🤷🏻‍♀️

maohvixen t1_jcxdtoe wrote

Can I recommend watering down the juice maybe 50-50 water and juice if not even more water as an occasional treat during the day? It's what my mother did although that was more because juice is pretty sugary and not the best health wise as opposed to teeth protection.

Fennac t1_jcy5ib6 wrote

Heads up, milk is also really bad for this. There is a lot of sugar in milk. My daughter needed 2 dental procedures with laughing gas at 5 years old because the sugar in milk ate away at her teeth.

Warfink t1_jcz78kf wrote

It’s not as much the juice as the child falling asleep with the unswallowed juice and bottle still in their mouth so their mouth ph never balances back out. At least that’s what I was told.

Dancinginmypanties t1_jcya1h4 wrote

Honestly if you just brush their teeth before bed it isn't a problem to give them juice during the day. I grew up in a dental family and was always told to brush my kids teeth as soon as they start erupting. You can even get them used to it by brushing their gums when they are infants so they don't fight you. Juice and cola aren't going to eat your teeth immediately it is when it is allowed to sit on the teeth. My kids go to bed with a waterborne of water and have since they were toddlers.

d4nowar t1_jcwmbu3 wrote

Wait, what? Diet juice?

Comparison-Intrepid t1_jcwv5bd wrote

I get cranapple juice and there’s a diet version of it on the shelf next to it. I’m not 100% sure on the difference other than I don’t like the taste of the diet version