Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

McWalking_Episode t1_jdxby1b wrote

Jeez. Today i learned about slow caffeine metabolization. Here i am after a coffee, a 5 hour energy and a bai, still half asleep at my desk.

monkshood_bezoar OP t1_jdxcbrs wrote

Sounds like you must be a fast metabolizer. Here’s to getting through the rest of the day!

WholeSilent8317 t1_jdxhphw wrote

it's also partially tolerance! if you need a ton of energy drinks/caffeine to get through the day, try cutting a small bit at a time. i know it's hard, but then it will be easier to stay awake when you really need it

copper2copper t1_jdy9hsj wrote

I read that as "pain tolerance" for a second and got really concerned/confused.

theknightone t1_jdyc0bn wrote

Try being an inattentive adhd person and weaning yourself off caffeine. It is a true test of pain tolerance lol

Kierkaguardian t1_jdzs0s2 wrote

Literally me, lol. On top of that, I'm prone to migraines when I'm taking a caffeine hiatus to lower my tolerance if I don't remember to drink enough water. You can imagine how that goes with ADHD lol.

epicenter69 t1_je07i48 wrote

Pain tolerance would be fitting also. Caffeine-withdrawal headaches suck.

QUHistoryHarlot t1_jdyik6o wrote

Caffeine can also make ADHD people sleepy but that’s cause our brains are different. I am one of the (un?)lucky ones that caffeine doesn’t affect me at all.

ZoraksGirlfriend t1_jdz3etq wrote

Is this why I always feel like napping after I have coffee? I have ADHD and I’ve never heard of this.

QUHistoryHarlot t1_jdzlqsx wrote

Yep, it sure is. I’ve heard caffeine naps are the best naps in the world so I’m a little jealous but I also enjoy not getting tired after I have tea or a coke.

eternal8phoenix t1_je1csoj wrote

Caffeine is baby adderall.

Seriously- small children with ADHD have LESS behaviour issues and better attention span after a sweet coffee than 'sober'.

Both are stimulants that get the ADHD brain to get its ass in gear and focus on something, in less than scientific terms.

https://www.webmd.com/add-adhd/adhd-caffeine

Not the source I remember reading byt has some info.

Oohshiny77 t1_je2mztx wrote

Agreed! I worked a 12 hour backshift, got home and drank a Monster then crawled into bed and slept for 6 hours. Caffeine doesn’t affect me either.

Wireeeee t1_jdxi4i1 wrote

It makes you lucky tbh! It means even with little amount of caffeine you get a big benefit

monkshood_bezoar OP t1_jdxj7ur wrote

It certainly is useful when I have to be at work for over 24 hours!

ZoraksGirlfriend t1_jdz3c7r wrote

Hmm. Caffeine has never had too much of an effect on me. I’ll drink a cup of coffee and be ready for a nap 30 minutes later. I can even have caffeine at night and it won’t affect my ability to fall asleep. I’ve never heard of this slow/fast metabolized thing, but it makes sense.

more_beans_mrtaggart t1_jdz718b wrote

I had that come up in my genetic test. Slow caffeine metabolism, and I’m a British tea drinker. I love extra strong tea.

unepommeverte t1_jdxl5we wrote

Btw some people (more common with adhd and autism) dont get energy from caffeine but can still develop health problems from drinking too many energy drinks

McWalking_Episode t1_jdxosmc wrote

Im adhd and dont take my meds so, makes sense

JustMeAndMySnail t1_jdyrfkc wrote

You should take your meds or, if you feel they aren’t appropriate for you, seek additional assistance

ciarenni t1_jdyz69r wrote

Assuming they're in the US, they might be unable to get more meds currently and are rationing them.

theknightone t1_jdycdbc wrote

Its because the caffeine reacts in our brains differently and helps engage pathways in our brain to achieve a semi-neurotypical feedback loop and focus. Its why most adhd meds are stimulants and you'll find unmedicated people have an unhealthy reliance on caffeine.

The science behind why we often seem "lazy" is really interesting.

mcanallys-pub t1_jdy6dp3 wrote

Yep, caffeine really doesn’t perk me up at all.

That didn’t stop me from developing a heart arrhythmia from overuse of stimulants!

unepommeverte t1_jdycy4p wrote

Yup i just saw a post about a guy who started drinking energy drinks as a kid, trying to get the same hyperactivity as his friends. And now he's an adult with nerve problems from the vitamins and whatnot building up

Cyneganders t1_jdxjgxv wrote

I had 9 coffee in the first 5 hours of being awake today. Wish I'd had more. I can't focus because I'm so bored of my project...

Dragonfly452 t1_jdxtmla wrote

Please please please drink water too

Cyneganders t1_jdza47b wrote

Don't worry, had tonnns of water. I'm situated near a water filtering dispenser and constantly refill my bottle. Do the same thing every day when it comes to that one. Reminds me, time for more coffee and possibly a refill of water!

CharlieandtheRed t1_jdyjiqy wrote

Do you smoke or vape?

McWalking_Episode t1_jdymt1s wrote

Depends on the mood. Why?

CharlieandtheRed t1_jdyqt98 wrote

I was like you before -- no amount of caffeine did anything to me. Then I quit vaping/smoking for 20 days and an expresso gets me straight wired now lol

snowmandala t1_jdzw3fg wrote

I can literally drink a gallon of coffe and go to sleep one hour later.

epicenter69 t1_je07dls wrote

Yep. 2 cups of coffee, a monster and a Mountain Dew later, I’m still nodding off.

aboatdatfloat t1_je0pawu wrote

Yeah any energy i get from caffeine is gone in usually about 1-2 hrs, depending on how much i had