Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

SpaghettiMonster35 t1_itazjgi wrote

I’ve got a Lab who’s very scent motivated. So much so that the moment he’s out of the backyard every other part of his brain shuts off and he’s just in Smellsville. He’s totally fine in the house and in the yard but the moment he’s out it’s a pain in the ass to get him back. And I honestly have no clue how I can keep him focused enough to train him outside our fence. It feels like every time I try we just end up reenforcing bad behavior because he’s pulling and no longer acknowledging me. I’ll even have the smelliest, tastiest treats on me and he doesn’t even care!

I think the main problem came in with how we didn’t walk him much as a puppy due to issues with neighborhood dogs trying to attack him (it happened 3 separate times) and because we had a big, fenced yard it just made more sense to run him there. But I wish we stuck with it more for the times we do want to walk him/when he gets out.

Aaaand then there’s my golden retriever who also got out one time (along with the lab) and came right back after I called him 1-2 times as soon as he got out. ~sigh~

Kale t1_itbrkhe wrote

We got a vibrating collar online. Our dog will be focused on everything around them, but make their collar buzz and they snap out of it and look for us to see what we want. It has the shock feature too, but we don't need it. The buzz works fine.

futureruler t1_itcd0zm wrote

Yep, my dogs have gotten to the point where they don't need the collar anymore. They still wear it when we go out late at night and I can't see if there's a bear/deer/fox on the property. They only get the shock if they ignore the beep and the vibration, and only if they are running off the property. Had one issue with my bigger, more aggressive dog running off and got the collars and now he only tries to run off chasing animals, but is smart enough to stop at the treeline.