Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

pattyG80 t1_iuhso4v wrote

If you sonehow don't have a plunger, doing some hand CPR over the drain can help a bit.

Even an empty 2 liter coke bottle can work as a plunger.

Kicking plastic pipes never helps.

chokeemeharder t1_iuihd1v wrote

Oo I used to do this in a few of our old showers too but with my foot. OP you can use a cloth to help too

MyNameIsRay t1_iuj27d2 wrote

They make little plungers specifically for sinks, and they're usually <$5.

Totally worth the investment, works great and keeps the toilet plunger out of your sink.

Whole-Mulberry7 OP t1_iuj4jnt wrote

I’m telling this to my mom immediately

realahcrew t1_iuj5oyi wrote

Careful not to plunge too hard though, because it could compromise the gasket seals in the connections of the pipes and you’ll just be stuck in this mess again lol

Source: I learned the hard way

MyNameIsRay t1_iuj71e5 wrote

The lesson I learned the hard way was to cover the overflow hole with your thumb before plunging the bathroom sink.

Otherwise, you might spray that nasty stuff out of the overflow and all over your toothbrush.

realahcrew t1_iuj84gw wrote

Oh gross 🤮 definitely not a lesson anyone wants to learn firsthand. Thanks for taking one for the team, Ray 😂

MyNameIsRay t1_iuj8to0 wrote

I'm just happy to know I can save someone else from cleaning up black sludge.

Danarya27 t1_iujapvb wrote

Or worse. In your face. Which has definitely happened to me.

dj3hac t1_iujlb62 wrote

Those are absolute trash, they split at the seam when used. We bought a bunch for the maintenance shop (residential maintenance) and every one of them broke during use. Honestly for a sink a classic rubber plunger with a wooden handle is perfect, cut the handle if you need it shorter.

TheDarkSoul616 t1_iujazxu wrote

Counterpoint, hand CPR made a joint come loose in my sink once. Pipe are horrible eldritch monstrosities, and nothing you can ever do will be correct.

pattyG80 t1_iujxaf0 wrote

If the hand cpr thing broke your sink, your sink was in bad shape

chuffing_marvelous t1_iuiwba1 wrote

if there is water in the sink, fill the bottle with water first then turn it upside down putting the bottle over the drain then squeeze the bottle. forces a jet of water down the hole

Some-Body-Else t1_iuj8ncm wrote

Glad to know my mum and I aren't the only 2 humans doing the hand CPR when in a jiffy.

more_merkins t1_iujcylo wrote

If it's a garbage disposal drain with the rubber surround you can fist it to unclog it. The rubber part seals around your fist and you can make a plunging motion.

Slave_to_dog t1_iuje9yt wrote

I plunged my sink once and ended up just breaking the o-ring on it and got water everywhere just like OP.