Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Huckleberry_83 t1_ixqq5k6 wrote

Pissed is an understatement. If I was that girl I would've beaten the daylights out of you. The torture we females go through to get it put in.. the cramping that puts you in the fetal position, the bleeding for 2+ weeks to months.. not to mention the feeling of the metal tools being shoved pretty uncaring into your cervix and uterus with ZERO pain medication.. Ugh.

AislinnScr t1_ixs1uyx wrote

I feel immensely sorry for anyone who gets an IUD implanted without even an offer of pain medication.

Personally, when I got mine I was told the choice was there to get a local anesthetic. Tried a couple seconds without it, then decided it was a good idea and after the injection felt almost no pain. Maybe how much of an ordeal it is depends on where and by whom it's done?

Can confirm the side effects can be a nightmare, regardless.

[deleted] OP t1_ixso1or wrote

[deleted]

Huckleberry_83 t1_ixticfo wrote

Lucky for you. They were not gentle with me the first time. Plus, oddly positioned uterus so they had to use a good bit of force to ram it in there. But, the next 7 years were worth it. I'm on my third one.

[deleted] OP t1_ixtim9e wrote

[deleted]

Huckleberry_83 t1_ixtiv9i wrote

Sounds like me. Self destruct mode. Lol. Been so sick with random things. Thankfully not covid though.

bs-scientist t1_ixsmo5z wrote

It totally depends on who is doing it and who the woman getting it inserted is.

I’m one of the lucky ones. It was relatively easy for me, just mild discomfort.

But holy shit have I read some horror stories. Some sort of sedation/pain relief should be mandatory. You should have to opt out if you don’t want/need it.

Huckleberry_83 t1_ixti8aw wrote

A lot of places apparently think 800mg of ibuprofen is sufficient pain medication to have metal tools shoved not too gently into your uterus. Even more so if your uterus is oddly positioned and the nurse has to press on your gut to move your uterus down so they can push -harder- with the tools to make it fit in there. Most OB/gyn will only do them in office, without pain medication/numbing. Also too, insurance cost is part of it. It's 100% covered.. if you do it without sedation. I paid 1300$ and got my rear knocked out with ketamine and that was the best experience I've had with IUD placements.

maohvixen t1_ixstk20 wrote

I blacked out briefly from the pain of getting mine inserted then had two or so days of severe cramps and I was actually one of the luckier women!

Huckleberry_83 t1_ixthh2l wrote

That's good. The first two I had, I was cramping for a month. Bled for at least 3 weeks. Had to do pelvic ultrasounds on already tender parts to verify it was still in place with how bad it was. Third time? I asked to have it placed in the OR. Knocked my butt out with Ketamine and I had zero pain and bleeding. Magical. Going to ask to have it done that way again next time (and hopefully last!)