Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ragingninetails99 t1_ixhjxld wrote

And this is why my parents made sure I had a young person's bank account where all this kind of stuff would go.

Sorry you had this happen to you, but it's never too early to control your own money!

GwyndolynRedwood OP t1_ixhnxgo wrote

I wasn't taught about money growing up. Both my parents worked paycheque to paycheque. My dad spends his money carelessly feeding addictions, while my mom has spent all her money raising me as a 'single' mother.

GanacheWeak6896 t1_ixi07yf wrote

Call the police and make a report today now that you know. This will help later when you have to take your dad to court for 20k

ragingninetails99 t1_ixhtnh3 wrote

Yeah, unfortunately I can see how this kind of thing can happen in a situation like that, even without any malicious intent (at least at first)

Bill comes in slightly above what you were expecting, normally you'd go overdrawn and stuff, but it's ok - you have all this extra money set aside! You'll just remember to put a bit more aside next month.

Whoops, something broke and you don't have the money for it! Well... Surely it wouldn't hurt anyone to use some of this money for it? You'll pay it back before it becomes an issue!

And so on, until you just get used to spending this money that isn't yours, lending it out, etc, until you suddenly realise there's none left.

yumirow t1_ixiq5jr wrote

That's the second lesson for you, alway be wary of someone's ability to manage money if they live paycheck to paycheck

scalpingsnake t1_ixi84wx wrote

I wonder if this was just simply neglect or if they intentionally did this to control you for longer. You really should have had a bank account much much sooner.