Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

diffyqgirl t1_j172o6j wrote

Spying on your kid does not make them safer, it teaches them how to avoid you.

My mom insisted on installing a tracker on my sisters phone. So my sister stopped taking her phone with her when she went anywhere she thought my mom wouldn't approve of. Meaning she wouldn't have a way of calling for help if something happened, so she was less safe.

k9moonmoon t1_j19ldgt wrote

I fully respect a teens right to privacy. But changing names in a contact list, especially at the Era the OP did it, isn't exactly invading privacy. You can access the contact list without reading any messages. The sticking point would be how much you trust the prankster that all they did was the contact list aspect and how private the teen treats their phone. If they were leaving it out unlocked regularly vs being very mindful.

−1

Raeandray t1_j17dsxt wrote

At the same time parents can’t just enable their children to go do things that are unsafe. In your example the child would’ve gone to the unsafe places either way. While I’d prefer they have a phone while being unsafe, I also can’t take the attitude of “you’re going to do unsafe things so I just won’t even try.”

−4

eljefeciego t1_j17lh9n wrote

Wtf you think having kids is? You're creating a life into a VERY dangerous world, managing risks and trying to not sacrifice too much of the children's freedoms in the meantime is your sole duty. And still, they will die sooner or later. Also be hurt in so many ways.

Parents should expose their kids to dangers, as many kinds as possible so they'll evetually learn to navigate them as safely as possible.

Parents' primary job is never to protect at all costs.

Raeandray t1_j18j0g5 wrote

> Parents' primary job is never to protect at all costs

I didn't say it was. In fact my whole post was meant to highlight the tightrope parents have to walk balancing risks vs independence as they help their kids grow.

−1