Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

special_kitty t1_j26vgsq wrote

That's not so bad. My mom met this scammer on Facebook and fell in love. He's an engineer located in Oslo, Norway yet his selfie was in shorts and a t-shirt. He's Australian but grew up in the US and owns a Lamborghini and a Mercedes. He's flying private to Detroit this weekend where she will pick him up. She went to Detroit last weekend during the snowstorm and got a hotel but his plane got delayed. He wanted 3k for the flight because he doesn't have access to his credit cards. He also wants $2,300 for a laptop and an Apple watch. She knows he's a scammer but, "They worked it out" and "He's going to be a good father to me because I need a father." I'm 37.

Tanagrabelle t1_j272kq6 wrote

Hoo, one of those "Then I'd have to admit I'm wrong" issues for you mother, eh? Pride is a prickly thing. Hugs to you!

special_kitty t1_j2743mv wrote

Yep. There's nothing more that we can do except let this thing play out. I'm trying to have a sense of humor about it.

Akitten84 t1_j277amz wrote

Whooooo… That’s crazy A few years back my dad was talking to a “woman” online, she was coming to see him but got stuck in Texas, her car and phone broke, but was able to message him on WhatsApp, he added her to his Verizon account so she could buy a new phone, “she” bought $10k in new phones and didn’t quite make it to his place.

sdemps43 t1_j28tqhh wrote

Get her to watch the Netflix series. The Tinder Swindler. If she does not cop on after that then she's a lost cause

special_kitty t1_j2a9wef wrote

I had her watch that one and then a couple more like that. She's hopeless.

ErialFae t1_j27gdr7 wrote

Omg that sounds like a story I had seen where a woman was basically going through the same situation. Even when all of the proof was put in front of her that he was a scammer she still wanted to work things out. She thought they could work past it apparently. Your poor mom

LeviathanGank t1_j2bgkbw wrote

Maybe he could be a good mother xx I could be half arsed father if you need one tho my beautiful angel. I got a little boy amd the wife wants girl