Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

[deleted] OP t1_j4oaoj4 wrote

Reply to comment by raz0rflea in TIFU by changing my name by [deleted]

[removed]

−41

raz0rflea t1_j4ocfjj wrote

You don't need to "pronounce all sounds of all languages" to make an effort to remember a person's name for fuck's sake. That's the stupidest fucking thing I've ever heard 🙄

I can't speak Macedonian, but when I met my friend Vlatko I didn't say "no that's too hard, we're going to call you Bill" like he was told the first day of school when he moved here.

Also, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that someone knows how to pronounce their own name better than you do.

Self-awareness is a thing you might want to look at evolving some time, mate.

NightDragon250 t1_j4ouwv6 wrote

no i know plenty of people that got a name from their parents because "it looked so pretty", or "i like the way it sounded"(when they never heard it but sounded it out and liked that.) i went to school with a girl named Siobhan, and she and her parents pronounced it See-obe-han. i had to tell her, in highschool, that it was shiv-on.

−6

raz0rflea t1_j4ovkm3 wrote

By high school she's calling herself Seeobean or whatever because that's what she wants to be called...is it weird? Yes. Is it not how it's normally pronounced? Yes. But it's still her name she's had from the time she was born, you just gotta adapt to it at this point.

NightDragon250 t1_j4ox40h wrote

actually she hated see-obe-han. when i showed her how it was an irish name pronounced shiv-on she was ecstatic, her mom not so much.

orosoros t1_j4p0n7x wrote

That's so sweet! She got a fresh name without the bureaucratic hassle of changing it

my_n3w_account t1_j4oohz0 wrote

If you think you can pronounce YOUR name which is written in MY language because your mum lived in MY country when she was young better than me, you're a moron.

Also, I never said it's ok for you to decide a name for other people. I just explained why many foreigners decide to change their name cause most people don't care to pronounce their name properly and, for some, they prefer to be called something else entirely rather than a butchered version of their real name.

−19